Holley Carb problems - Page 3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Re: Holley Carb problems

I went to the carb shop to get it rebuilt and they said they would test it after the rebuild and it was going to all cost 165.00.
I asked them if they could just test it, and if it was bad if they could deduct it from the 165.
It cost me 20 dollars,but it was well worth it.
He talked to me about it for about 10 minutes before testing it and I mentioned some of the stuff you informed me of aaron
He said that the idle screws were too far in(they were 2 turns I believe out)
He said they must be AT least level with the side of the carb.
My only problem now is it won't run choked,but I guess thats not big deal as it seems to run pretty well.I changed my spark plugs the same day..It actually works extremely well now.(I believe one or two were fowled due to my battery falling on the header and putting acid on the engine)
Do you see that hose in the picture?Can you tell me what it goes to?
It was hooked up to another vacuum tube thing in the front of the carb.
The guy at the carb place said it should be hooked up to my air cleaner and it tells my carb how much air to draw in..
he kinda seemed iffy on it and said thats where it should go.
Does that make sense?
Thanks

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 09:48 PM

"tr" hope that last statement was not a good bye.i for one have gone back and read just about all your posts-i've enjoyed them immensley and for the first time in a few years enjoy driving my jeep because of your "team rush" upgrade.

if you are leaving,which i hope not ,let me know where -thanks -luke

is thier reality apart from our selves
post #23 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 08:27 AM

*I went to the carb shop to get it rebuilt and they said they would test it after the rebuild and it was going to all cost 165.00.*

That's fair if the guy knows what he's doing.
Obviously he DOESN'T OR HE WOULD TEST THE CARB FIRST!!!
It takes about 20 to 30 minutes to tune a Holley, and he wants to rebuild before he sees if there is anything wrong with the carb...
----------------

*I asked them if they could just test it, and if it was bad if they could deduct it from the 165.*

Makes sense, attempt to tune so you know what's not working correctly. Wonder why the shop guy didn't think of that? It's supposed to be his job...
----------------

*It cost me 20 dollars,but it was well worth it.
He talked to me about it for about 10 minutes before testing it and I mentioned some of the stuff you informed me of aaron *

If he gave you a lot of blank looks or argued with you, he doesn't know what he's doing with a Holley.
----------------

*He said that the idle screws were too far in(they were 2 turns I believe out)
He said they must be AT least level with the side of the carb.*

RUN LIKE HELL !! RUN NOW, AND AS FAST AS YOU CAN !!

This guy is a moron!
Idle screws being even with any part of the carb has nothing to do with anything!
And unless you have the emissions control odd-ball metering block (you never sent me a picture of the idle mixture screws, so I still don't know) 2 turns is WAY too far out...

If you have the emissions version, Out is Lean, and that is backwards to the standard metering block.
The emissions metering block may take two or three turns out to make it run,
BUT...
That screw adjustment has NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING "LEVEL WITH THE SIDE OF THE CARB"...
-----------------

*My only problem now is it won't run choked, but I guess thats not big deal as it seems to run pretty well.I changed my spark plugs the same day..It actually works extremely well now.(I believe one or two were fowled due to my battery falling on the header and putting acid on the engine)*

How would having acid on the outside of the engine foul your plugs?????
Fouled plugs come from improperly adjusted fuel mixture, fuel, oil or water getting into the cylinder, or the ignition not working correctly....
------------------

*Do you see that hose in the picture?Can you tell me what it goes to?*

If you mean your picture, there are at least 3 vacuum lines visible.
The one coming from the metering block, (just above the idle mixture screw) should be hooked to the vacuum advance on your carb.
The one on the canister hooked to the side of the carb should be connected to a manifold vacuum to pull the choke off.
------------------

*It was hooked up to another vacuum tube thing in the front of the carb.*

That is a vacuum port. There are two kinds of vacuum ports, Manifold Vacuum, that comes from under the carb, and Ported Vacuum, that comes from inside the Venturi Bore.
Ported Vacuum should normally be used for the vacuum advance on your distributor.
------------------

*The guy at the carb place said it should be hooked up to my air cleaner and it tells my carb how much air to draw in.. he kinda seemed iffy on it and said thats where it should go.
Does that make sense?*

The guy didn't have a clue what he was doing, find another shop... or find a hot rodder in the neighborhood to help with the directions I sent you...
Print all that stuff off, and almost anyone should be able to follow those directions...

So many cats, so few recipes...
Attached Images
File Type: gif 9-622494-carb2.gif (89.3 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 08:42 AM

*"tr" hope that last statement was not a good bye.i for one have gone back and read just about all your posts-i've enjoyed them immensley and for the first time in a few years enjoy driving my jeep because of your "team rush" upgrade.
if you are leaving,which i hope not ,let me know where -thanks -luke*

Don't sweat it Luke, it takes more than some toilet scrubbing maintenance and his toadies to affect me in the least...
I'm used to posers by now. We see them in here every day... They want to go 1,000 miles an hour, but don't have any money or education in the hardware, but want to argue about everything...

I always figure they are fishing for the correct answers when they argue with you.
I noticed that trailride maintenance boy has my ignition and alternator stuff word for word on his web site, but wants to argue with me about the information in an open forum...

If I'm so stupid, why has he got my stuff, word for word, on his web site?
Wouldn't he be better suited to write the articles and do the upgrades if he knows so much more than me?
----------------

Like I said, it takes more than a toilet scrubbing poser to run me off...

Later all.
Aaron.

post #25 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 05:21 PM
Journeyman

I've got to throw this out there - cause it's what I tell folks who have a Holley and want to make it run right...

Go to any large bookstore and buy a book on the Holley. If you want to know how to do it yourself, this is the best way - my opinion here.

The two I've always used are both by S-A Design - Holley Rebuilding & Modifying, and Super Tuning and Modifying Holley Carburetors.

I took my ol' 0-7010 780cfm carb (loved it as a street/strip carb) from sealevel (where I enlarged the IFRs to get enough air/fuel to the 440ci big block) to Denver (then reduced the IFRs due to the altitude) and passed Denver's enhanced emissions test.

Holleys are awesome - if you know how to tune them. I buy more Holleys cheap because folks give up on trying to get them to run right. That 0-7010 carb - the idiot tried to run it with a powervalve plug and the stock emissions jets (a huge no-no, unless you are strictly tuning). When it didn't work right, he gave up and sold it to me dirt cheap.

Manifold
81 Scrambler - 350/SM465/Dana 300/3.73/31s
Maryland Mudbugs member
http://www.marylandmudbugs.com
post #26 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

sorry I haven't gotten the pic of the screws
My internet has been down for a week and I'd take the pics right now but I left the jeep at school.

If he gave you a lot of blank looks or argued with you, he doesn't know what he's doing with a Holley.
He did say he's never heard of an anti backfire valve..

[b]RUN LIKE HELL !! RUN NOW, AND AS FAST AS YOU CAN !!

How would having acid on the outside of the engine foul your plugs?????
Fouled plugs come from improperly adjusted fuel mixture, fuel, oil or water getting into the cylinder, or the ignition not working correctly....

I don't know.Can it hurt to run them without having and power going to them?It did fry a few of my plug cables and I unknowingly didn't run a cylinder or two for a day or so.
I've also most definatly had an incorrect mixture sometime within my attempt to tune the carb.

If you mean your picture, there are at least 3 vacuum lines visible.
The one coming from the metering block, (just above the idle mixture screw) should be hooked to the vacuum advance on your carb.
The one on the canister hooked to the side of the carb should be connected to a manifold vacuum to pull the choke off.
------------------

*It was hooked up to another vacuum tube thing in the front of the carb.*

That is a vacuum port. There are two kinds of vacuum ports, Manifold Vacuum, that comes from under the carb, and Ported Vacuum, that comes from inside the Venturi Bore.
Ported Vacuum should normally be used for the vacuum advance on your distributor.

The reason I hooked them up as I did was because the hose seemed to work that way(right length/same size vacuum port.Maybe someone hooked it up incorrectly a while back.
How do I properly plug that vacuum leak by the way?
Also what is the manifold vacuum?
There are two vacuum ports on the front of the carb,actually three.One of them comes from the engine,which I believe gives everything vacuum.I had the vacuum advance hooked up to the choke.
Hmm this is really confusing me,I'll have to make a diagram later.

The guy didn't have a clue what he was doing, find another shop... or find a hot rodder in the neighborhood to help with the directions I sent you...
Print all that stuff off, and almost anyone should be able to follow those directions...

I thank you for your advice.I will most likely attempt it myself.I don't know any hot rodders and that is supposed to be the best shop in town I believe.They deal just with carbs.Maybe it was just the guy who was working at the time.I don't know of anyone else who really deals with carbs.

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
post #27 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 01:35 AM

*Super Tuning and Modifying Holley Carburetors* by Dave Emanuel (ISBN: 1-884089-28-3) is the best Holley carb tune up
book I have ever read!
I consider it a must read for anyone wanting to lean Holley carbs.
Holley uses it to train their new employees now, it's that good.

Take a good look at the accelrator pump and arm on the front cover....
If you have the one with the screw up, you have a collectors item according to Holley.
That's some great machine work on that carb... Sure shows how a center pivot float bowl works!

BUY THE BOOK! It's more than worth the $20 for it...

post #28 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 03:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Take it to a good Holley tech . Try out the local race track . Those 1/4 miler guys can hook you up in five minutes or tell you what is wrong with yours . Holleys are very simple to tune . Go to your local library and get a Holley book out . It is all in the tunning buddy . Run like crap if out of tune and blaze like free cheese at a homeless shelter when spot on . It is very hard to tell you what to fix because you describe several things that could be a lot on a Holley . Float level , Main jet size , power valve size , vacuum leaks !!!! Spray WD-40 around your carb base plate and all vacuum lines and intake gaskets ect. to find a leak . The engine will speed up where their is a leak . At a leak the engine is sucking in air . Now you add the fuel (WD-40) and it speeds up . Shoot everything no matter how small that might have vacuum on it . PCV valve jacked up ?

When it doubt , PUNCH IT !!
post #29 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Ok here is a picture of the side screws.
I'll grab the book next time I go to the library.
I went to the downtown one last week and they didn't have it.I've seen it there before so I think its just checked out.

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-623826-carby.JPG (38.9 KB, 0 views)
post #30 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

OK last big question.
Can you tell me exactly which vacuum lines go where.
I asked the guy at the old shop and he told me to go buy a book for that car.I don't know what vehicle it came out of, and the carb is supposed to be for a 350 and its on a 4.3L.
The red lines are vacuum ports and the black hoses are vacuum connections and gray lines are to engine..I can tell where they go as they have different sized hose.I have a diagram of how it is hooked up now.
I want to make my vacuum is hooked up correctly before I start adjusting.
Thanks for any help..
Joey

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode