New frame?? Need advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 04:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New frame?? Need advice

Well I've patched the frame on my CJ several times. It developed cracks behind the front springs, and I had them fixed, but too much flex recently destroyed my patchwork. Now the frame is splitting apart and starting to twist. I am still planning the SOA and moving the front axle forward in the process, so is it worth it to just fix the frame again. I am think of boxing it in this time. Or do I find a junker with a good frame, or buy a new frame and start from there?

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~simmonst/Jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: New frame?? Need advice

Box that puppy in. But to really do it right the body will probably have to come off. My first thought was a yj frame shorten to fit the 5 body. And since you said you want to move the front axle forward you would just take less out of the middle of the frame. Either way you still are taking the body off.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 08:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

box it..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 09:49 PM
Official Historian

...and make your welds horizontal, not vertical. A vertical weld will crack again. You need to make 1" strips of metal to gap your crack and weld them horizontally.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 11:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my .02$ worth(might not be even worth that)is to weld the crack grind off the weld flush and box it up but start and stop at least 6 inches past the crack. i fixed one buddies that had rusted out right behind front spring hanger. used angle and flat bar to box it. the big problem was the frame angle forward of the mount. didn't have a torch so did angle cut and welded it. now i did do verticle welds that are holding but it is recommended to cut the ends so as to have a point. that makes your welds run at an angle towards the middle of the frame

taco
78cj7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 08:51 AM
jeepfiend

Get some 2x3 or some 2x4 3/16" wall tubing and build a new frame. Find some measurements on the board (I know they have been posted before), or use your old frame as the template and build the sucker. You can miter and weld the bends and then put a fish plate at each joint to keep the strength. It sounds like the old frame is trashed, why bother with trying to fix it. If you paint a pile of manure pink, it is still manure. Why try to cover and patch something that is well past its prime. Besides a custom frame would be cool, and the tubing, especially the 2x4 would be a heck of a lot stronger than the existing frame. You could grind off and use your old hardware or buy it all new from someone like 4wd Hardware or Quadratec. Yeah there is a lot of fabrication involved, but think how cool it would be. And if you are thinking of any custom suspension mods this would be a great time. You would probably have to reuse your body mounts and maybe a couple of crossmembers and the rest would be your option to reuse or purchase new. I think it would be a great winter project.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 09:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think patching and boxing the frame will have to work for now. Been thinking of building a complete tubular chasis with the cage built in. Living in a townhouse with no garage and a small parking lot doesnt let me build too much.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~simmonst/Jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode