overdrive sucks! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

overdrive sucks!

I got 32s on my Wrangler (95 rio grande, 2.5L, 4.11s) and overdrive 5th just became pretty much useless. I wish they made a tranny 5 speed with a granny, granny low and have 5th be a 1:1 (like 4th usually is). I'm thinking about swapping out my tranny soon cause holding 4th to 55-60 is getting absurd (4000 rpm!) and ripping my little AX5 apart (grinding gears makes me cringe) I wish I could get a 5 speed like I described...if only wishes came true

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 02:51 PM

Re: overdrive sucks!

swap it with an auto!

....easier said then done...I know, I know..

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Grocery Getter, Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - Work in progress.
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 03:06 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

I would first think of replacing the engine before tranny. Remember that the original 4 cylinder Jeeps had 5.38 gears in the diffs with stock tires and 45 mph was about it for top-end. Granted the 2.5L is far more powerful than a F-head 4, but it's still a 4-banger. A 6 or 8 cylinder engine would be far better suited for those big meats.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 05:26 PM
BMB
Veteran

There are several trannies like you describe. Clark made many variations with granny 1st and direct 1:1 5th. International Harvester had a few also. Doug Nash had some 5 speeds too, but I don't think they ever made any with a granny low 1st. The biggest problem with most of these is finding them and getting them adapted to your particular application. Hope this helps.

BMB

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 05:36 PM
I Do This For The Glory

So what's stopping you? Look for a nice Clark or NP540/NP542 to swap into it and you're all set. Here's a hint, look in BIG trucks.

This is the gear pattern you're looking for, it may or may not be on the dash like this one. This tranny has a 1:1 fifth and a 7.42:1 low.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your overdrive doesn't suck.
Your 4 cyl. sucks!
Don't do any expensive swapping, just sell it and buy a 6 cyl., it's the most cost effective option.
And when you buy a 6 cyl., make sure it has round headlights and a fold down tailgate. :0)

CTjeepnut

You had to do what to fit those little tires?
I'm sure glad I own a CJ!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sell my Jeep?! I think not. This is the first one I've had thats run for more than 2 consecutive weeks without breaking something. I loved my CJs (2 of them) but their pretty battered up here in the northeast. I'm gonna start an anti-salt legislation I do plan on swapping out my 4 cyl when it finally bites the dust but for now she gets me where I'm going, on and offroad and shes never let me down, I'm not complaining. Those trannies you talked about are exactly what I'd like to have (even though it wouldn't help on the highway, thats perfect for driving around town and on the trail). Too bad it'd prolly be cheaper to just by a bigger engine...someday, someday...

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 09:31 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I don't know about that. Check out junkyards, I know where there are 2 of them (NP540's), but I can't say as other people want them (in the neighborhood of $300 each I think). I do know where there are a few Clarks though. One of the NP's even had PTO's on BOTH sides of it. Too bad it was only a 2wd tranny, and they are rare, but anything is possible.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No, it'd be cheaper to sell it a buy a 6 cyl.!
Have you done a cost sheet on swapping a 4 to a 6?
Lots of different stuff.
Lots of runnin around.
Gonna do it yourself? Or gonna pay labor?
What are you gonna use for trans while your Jeep is down?
Figure in all the costs and hassles, it's cheaper to just buy what you want already built.
BTW I live in the NE too, and my CJs are the most dependable, easiest to work on, cheapest to fix and modify, vehicles I have ever owned.
I'm not saying to buy a CJ, I'm saying it's more COST EFFECTIVE to buy a vehicle with what you want already in it!
Not that it matters, but why did you buy a 4 cyl. to begin with? Everybody knows that they're gutless on the road.

CTjeepnut

You had to do what to fit those little tires?
I'm sure glad I own a CJ!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 11:42 PM
Wrangler88

hey i've got a same set up, just swap in lower gears, 4.56's or 4.88's and you'll be fine,, just watch out for the D35 its junk...maybe swap in a 8.8 then change gears thats what i'm doing!

(\/)ikey
Got Jeep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode