SOA and outboard questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

SOA and outboard questions

guys and mel
I have access to scout front and rear dana 44's and I am considering dropping them in. I know for the front I would have to go outboard springs how hard is it and how strong. The front front seems pretty easy just a plate on the frame and new spring hanger like Jeepgod did. On the front rear how do I do it? Also if I do a soa and 4 inch lift will that be plenty or too much for 35's. I am still debating what to do I still have a stock setup but I found the front and rear 44's cheap and they have matching 4:10 gears so it seems like a good route to go for now. My AMC 20 is howling pretty bad and changing out all while I'm doing it seems the way to go. Is it better to try to find a waggy front with 4:10s or work with what I have. Money is the main concern. I have access to a welder and all the tools and skills needed thanks to friends. Let me know what you think .
Thanks,
Brandon

Born on a mountain raised in a cave Jeepin and Wheelin is all I crave.
85 CJ-7 Nuttered and Growing Strong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 02:55 PM
Veteran

Re: SOA and outboard questions

Brandon,

From what I understand - if you go SOA you will need to adjust the caster on the scout axle. A scout axle has 0 degree caster, a wagoneer has 4 degrees positive caster & I am running a chevy axle I had the caster adjusted to 7 degrees positive. I have heard that you should want 6-7 degrees postive caster, Jeepgod is better to ask this. Also, if you go SOA on the scout axle, you will have to grind into the pumpkin to make a spot for the SOA perch, don't ask me how hard that is 'cause I wimped out & went with a chevy axle to avoid this (alreay set up for SOA)

Anyway, here is a link in regarding SOA scout axle on a YJ, it goes over the caster issue & the pumpkin issue:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/co...cout/d44f.html

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 03:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NO go on the SOA and 4" springs, too high. Jst get some good factory height springs or 2" at the most for true 35" tires. You don't have to grind into the pumpkin that much, just need to make a flat spot for the pad. If you can get these cheap go for it! search on down the list for a thread about this earlier.

waiting on the 1-tons!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 03:27 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

For my write up on outboarding spring hangers, check out http://www.dreamwater.com/ironpines and check out the tech center. It was extremely easy to do.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.dreamwater.com/ironpines
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 04:58 PM

JEEPN has a great wright-up on the outboard springs, I have scout axles and I love them! Check out the pics!

Rodney C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-617110-axle99.JPG (62.1 KB, 5 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:17 PM
I Do This For The Glory

The dreamwater/ironpines pics look kinda similar. I did mine in '98 without looking at any others.

The top two pics are mine, the bottom is theirs.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 11:52 PM

Why does everyone bolt the outboarded hangers to the frame instead of just welding them?

My front 60 and rear14 bolt just shipped today and I need to get my sh1t together!

Craig
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 12:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have done SOA's to 3 scout axles THIS YEAR!. heres the deal. it isnt worth it. get a chevy d-44 or d-60 or a waggie 44. the scouts have terrible caster, no perch on top, thin axle tubes, expencive brakes, and are too narrow for me.
however, they are the right bolt pattern.. but look honestly... and just buy new wheels...
I ran a scout front and the AMC 20 rear for a year with no major issues though...

~~Elusive~~
1 ton tj-7 thingy R.I.P. (Ressuerection In Progress)
Current State...improving quickly
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Can you outboard your springs and still do a shackle reversal would the shackles hang down too far?
Brandon

Born on a mountain raised in a cave Jeepin and Wheelin is all I crave.
85 CJ-7 Nuttered and Growing Strong
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 01:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you can do a shackle reversal if you wish. i did. i had a scout d44 in the front of my jeep for a few years before i got my current d60. as far as using a chevy housing for the front i prefer a housing that was setup for spring under when going spring over. why? well you can set you pinion angle where you want it. i like the pinion pointing right at the x-case output for the front drive shaft angel. it gets it up and out of the way. this is easy with a scout or waggy front because you built your own perch. i set it up so the pinion was pointed at the x-case output then when the perches were welded in place and the axle was bolted in the jeep i redid the caster to 8 degrees. it worked great. i now have a d60 that had the perch cast into the housing and i don't have the luxury.

as for the outboard perches being bolted...mine are welded.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode