Spring Ideas? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 10:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spring Ideas?

Hey Guys.. My little brother just bought a 78 CJ5, and he needs some serious suspension work. From what he has told me the springs are shot, and he is bottoming out the shocks to the point that it is bending the mounts. I drove it today, and yes, it rides terrible.

He plans on wheeling it, but I don't think he wants tons of lift right now. He just wants to improve the ride. It has 31's right now, I think he wants 33's. What springs would you suggest? Or a SOA, would that be better? Price is an issue, and he doesn't have access to tools to weld on spring perches, or track bars or anything.. Thanks for your help!

<font color=red>- Zack Douglas - </font color=red>
86 4runner - almost stock - SLC Utah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Spring Ideas?

If he just wants to go to 33s a 4 inch suspension or 2 1/2" suspension and 1 or 2" body lift is the way to go. IMO avoid most so called "softride" type suspensions, they seem to not hold up, especially to much wheeling and start sagging. SOA is a lot of work, and unless he is equipped to do the welding and cutting himself will run into bucks.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 11:12 AM

IMHO - as price, time and tools/skills availability are all issues... best bang for buck choice is a complete lift kit. You pick the mfg... Rancho is good as they are available everywhere, good quality, not overly stiff, reasonable price and have good warrantee coverage. Probably 2" to fit the current 31s or 4" to fit 33s. Be sure all five bumpstops are installed - could cause over compression without them.
You answered yourself re. SOA as that conversion requires much fabrication.
Also replace all shackle & spring bushings. Check tie rod, drag link, ball joints, etc for looseness too.
Does it have extended shackles? Too long shackles can cause crappy handling/ride too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 11:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply.. What are some of the good brands of springs to look for then? I am asking 'cuz I want to have some names that I can start to search for, and read up on, ect.. Thanks!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 11:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks.. I have heard good things about the Rancho springs on the Toys, I think I might put some on when I do my SFA..

I think the bad ride is a combination of the springs bottoming out, and the spring bushings are shot, and pretty much gone..

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 11:47 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Actually Brad is right about the softride springs, but it only applies to the 2.5" lift. On the 4" lift you want to go with the Superride. The reason is because the arch of the 4" springs doesn't allow it to sag easily, but the arch is such that they don't flex like a monster either.

Skyjacker and Superlift are good companies, I have the 4" Superlift ("superride" rear and HD front) and it hasn't sagged an inch.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 01:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to take issue with installing some of those ridiculously long bumpstops, they limit your suspension travel way too much. What I did was leave my stockers there, then slowly run the suspension of a front and rear tire up until you are gonna make contact with a fender, then extend your stock bumpstops. I ended up using square tubing and lowering my stops just one inch, and ended up with a lot more suspension travel than those silly 4"long urethane stops give you. Don't worry about overcompression of the springs, it won't matter one little bit to a decent spring.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 02:54 PM
Official Historian

DON'T GET PRO-COMP!!! (Yes I'm yelling, mine are harsh.)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 04:27 PM

Splitting hairs and just generally feeling the need to pipe up....

cjjeepercreeper -
no one said to install extended bumpstops. I did say to make sure bumpstops are installed.
(the hair splitting part [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]) Over compression of a leaf spring is not possible. Over flexing is, and repeated over flexing will lead to sagging and to failure faster than not. How much faster?? ...likely not an issue here. Beside the point at any rate.
Over compression of shocks is possible, which can lead to bent or broken shocks or shock mounts. The orig post from ledhead does indicate possible bending of shock mounts.
The pic shows a CJ-5 sitting in snow... salt melts snow on roads... snow melts to water... CJs rust (esp when exposed to water)... salt makes them rust worse... How many old CJ are running around with OE bumpstops rusted off? Here in the rust belt, plenty. Where you spend your days... likely rust is less of a problem.
ledhead indicates that this Jeep will be lifted. Lift kits usually include longer than stock shocks.
Wheeling any Jeep w/o bumpstops is begging for problems with overcompression - IMHO. Hence, my comment: "Be sure all five bumpstops are installed - could cause overcompression without them"

I agree, too long a bumpstop = too much of a good thing = a bad thing. The method you describe to set bumpstop length is good - IMHO. Personally, I like to stop an arched leaf spring just as it reaches flat. That is me, my HO... I am sure others see it differently.

That is all. Thanks. I feel better now.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 05:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

PROCOMP SPRINGS SUCK, NOT JUST TOO HARSH, THEY ARE SIMPLY CHEAP SPRINGS!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode