Axle conversion ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Axle conversion ?

Hi, I have had both jeeps and toyota for off road. I currently drive a toyota but am looking to get back into jeeps. The only problem I have with this is that Jeeps drive train (mainly axles) suck! I was wondering if anyone has had experience putting toyota axles under a jeep. I know its been done on several jeeps but I cant find any websites or write ups on it. Have any of you done this conversion or know of a website that I could find this information. My reasoning for the toyota axle swap is that they come with 4.10's stock and even better I have a set of axles with 4.88's and lockers waiting to go in something if the 4.10s arent low enough. I am looking for my next project vehicle. I am doing an SOA conversion for sure and getting enough lift for Q78's. The dana 35 just isnt going to hold up.

Any info would help guys.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 09:58 AM

Re: Axle conversion ?

I am not sure of the website, but you may find a link to it on Marlin Crawlers site.
One of Marlins lead mechanics Arron, put Yota axles under his dads Jeep.
There are much better axles for a jeep though that Toyotas. Unless you are just missing that familiar feeling of replacing Bierfields, why wouldnt you want to swap in any of the much more reliable front axle swaps more common with Jeeps. The front yota axle is a breakdown waiting to happen in the front of the heavier Jeep.
The larger Toyota rear axle, is reliable, but no more than, the average upgraded Jeep axle swaps.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

My thinking on putting toyota axles under it was saveing money on the gears and lockers since I already have them. The birfield problem is one to consider but they only takes a little while to change one and they dont break all that often... if I only have to change one a summer its worth it over spending another $1000 for gears and lockers. Right now I run a 4runner with a 302 in it and stock axles and I havent broke yet...knock on wood..... I try not to do anything stupid to break one but I dont baby it either.

thanks for your help.. I will see if i can find that link

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 05:35 PM
I Do This For The Glory

There is a guy in our club that runs Toy axles under his Scrambler, with a D300, NP435, and the 289 out of his Drag Mustang (BIG horsepower). He still hasn't broken a birfield, despite about 500 hp and open diffs. I wish I had the audio of him on the trail, sounds awesome. He just threw them under the Scrambler, nothing special.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 11:44 PM

here's a jeep w/ yota axles http://www.bc4x4.com/fv/2000/colson/colson.cfm i think they are pretty narrow, maybe narrower than stock jeep axles. Probably the best build up buy would be a 91-95 YJ wrangler w/ the Fuel injected 4.0, that's a kick ass engine.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode