O/T No More mods for a while, got fired... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

O/T No More mods for a while, got fired...

OK, first off, apologies, this is not to evoke pity. I feel like I've been around here long enough to blow off some steam. I've also found this to be a good forum to get ideas for day-to-day life. Jeepers are generally survivors.

I got fired Wednesday morning.

Things hadn't been going well in our company for quite some time. If you've ever seen the movie Office Space, I have lived it. First we merged with another company. Based on their operation strategies, I can't see how they make any money, but they did (for a while). We've had 3 rounds of lay-offs and a 10% pay cut since July. Every month they would hit us with something new. After each new trial they would assure us: "this is the last bad thing, business is looking up..." The CEO came out and said (I quote) "This company will not work with any less than 200 people, there will be no more layoffs." We started with over 330 people. They just kept lying to us. We figured things had turned around when we landed a $7 Million account recently. There was talk of retraining folks in necessary skillsets. Myself and the people I work with are generally VERY talented, competant and many of us experienced for the first time in our lives the realization that there is nowhere to GO, the market stinks! Normally we are the kind of people where jobs come looking for us.

Instead I get a call into the office at 11:30 Wednesday morning. I knew what was going to happen as soon as I saw the people in the conference room. To make matters worse this one female manager who doesn't know me from Adam felt the need to try to "soften the blow". I told her thank you very much but being "stroked" was the last thing I needed at that point and we needed to get on with business at hand.

So 10 minutes later it all boiled down to a two week severence plus vacation if I sign a "resignation" letter. Keep in mind that Georgia is an "at will" state, employers do not NEED a reason for firing you. I don't mind telling you all I'm more than a little scared. This is the first time in my life I haven't had a job lined up, or an idea of where to start looking.

For those in the know I have some questions:

1) Should I sign the resignation and get the severence? This works out to be about two month's operating expenses for me.

2) By signing the resignation, does this preclude me from getting unemployment if I need it? Would you take the severence or not? Why?

3) Anybody know of any job resources for a computer geek/techie/project manager in the Atlanta area?

Thanks in advance folks.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 04:48 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: O/T No More mods for a while, got fired...

Wow, that sucks!

Don't know how to answer your questions, but we wish you the best of luck.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:00 AM
sas87yj

i'd sign it and take the 2 month wad FOR SURE! hey you are history no matter what. they are offering you some help. you can't even slightly live on un-employment. you might still be able to collect un-employment since you are being forced to resign. i would head to the un-employment office for sure and give it a try- you got nothing to loose. go right away and don't wait. you will loose the first week. get the paper work started. TAKE THE OFFER!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

STapler!! Excuse me, WHere's my stapler? But seriously, hope you find somethin better

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:26 AM
Way Outta Control

The severence package also gives them an out for the 60 day notification rulings. Take a deep look at your career there and at the package. You'll also likely notice that if you sign the paperwork you will have waived your right to sue them for ANY reason. That's a very standard HR/business tatic to protect the company. So, though their doing you a favor, their really covering their backsides with the feds, and protecting themselves from future lawsuits.

Read over the document real carefully, remember it ain't personal it's business. Then if you've so inclinded take the money and run. It's the best you're gonna get.

Remember what Tom Peter said, that he wasn't nothing till he'd been fired from a few companies... and you're among friends.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 07:18 AM
Can't Get Enough

If it were me (and it has been in the past), I'd take the severance, file for unemployment, and hit the streets running looking for something else. Don't "take a few weeks" to relax, the longer you're unemployed, the harder it will be to find a job. Use all the resources at hand. Try employment agencies. Most will have the employer pay the fees. Cash in on some favors that people owe you. Having someone put in a good word for you can make the difference between a rejection or a new job.
Are you able to relocate? If so, what are you qualified to do? Some of us might be able to get some leads for you.
Good Luck.

Rick
80 CJ7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 07:34 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Yeah, definitely let us know.

Also, this is a GREAT time to consider a career change if you have been thinking about doing something else.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 07:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll be separating from the military soon and I'm going through the getting the resume out thing.
I've begun working with headhunters but I'm beginning to find it may be easier on my own.
http://www.monster.com
http://www.headhunter.net
http://www.jobs.com
http://www.jobsearch.org
http://www.hotjobs.com
http://www.joboptions.com
http://www.careermosaic.com
http://www.careerbuilder.com
These were listed as the top online sites for the tech industry in one of the resume books I bought. Hell if you want the book I'll send it to ya its tech geared and I'm not.

Kilo-1-6
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 07:55 AM

I'd take the information down to the unemployment office and talk to them. They can answer on whether or not you could get unemployment after resigning. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. They can also tell you how much unemployment you are entitled to, and for how long. In Nc, or unemployment offices also have job listings. Never know, there might be another job waiting for you there. Also, visit a lawyer. A consultation is usually free.
Good luck and hang in there.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 08:37 AM
Veteran

At least in PA, it would be your employer who would be handing in the slip to accept or deny your unemployment. That should be a question you ask them. "Would you protest my unemployment benefits if I sign this paper?".

I know that when we have someone resign, we get them to sign a resignation slip so that if they sign up for unemployement we will protest it. It is not in the best interest of the company to have you collecting unemployment, as it affects their rate of contribution for the future.

I'd say if you think you are going to get a job really soon, then sign the slip no problem. But if you think there is going to be a long period of unemployment, you really need to look into.

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode