v8 stutters at high RPM?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

v8 stutters at high RPM??

anyone out there have any ideas why my 304 is stuttering at mid to high RPM???? here's the story:I bought this 77CJ7 with a 304v8...Holley 4brl & headers about a month ago...ran great for about 3 weeks then crapped out the other day on the way to work...
timing gear was bad...replaced timing gears & chain...replaced plugs,cap & rotor...replaced fuel pump,filter & line from tank to pump....now she runs but I can't go over about 35mph...stutters real bad on acceleration...????any ideas??????I'm all out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 10:04 PM
Spike5421

Re: v8 stutters at high RPM??

I think you were on the right track with the electrical replacements, but you did not replace your coil, you may just not be getting enough spark out of that old coil. You updated everthing else.

'82,CJ7,D44'S,ARB'S,BDS SUSP.,FULL CAGE,4.0 HO,NV4500,DANA300 TWINSTICK
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 10:10 PM

Kind of need more information. Rough guesses: if electrical, maybe plug wires or coil, if fuel, maybe the carb. Don't jump to anything. No need to throw parts at it. What kind of stummble, jerkiness? like misfiring (maybe electrical) or dying out (maybe fuel). Definitely need more information, does the car do the same thing when in neutral?
Scott...

My Rides
1979 CJ-7: 304, T-150, much is my rebuild
1985 CJ-7: 258, T-5, for Peru Excursion
1989 XJ: has seen every state except Hawaii

In search of lost paths and distant locations...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 10:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

seems like a miss when it stutters...yes it does do the same thing in neutral...I swapped the coil with one from a 78 6cyl(258...same problem...also tried different coil wire...same problem...I don't see any arching from the plug wires,but I guess one could be open,but the engine idles fine on any 7 plugs

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 10:31 PM

You should check the wires for resistance. i believe an acceptable ohms reading should be 5,000-10,000 ohms per foot, just checked a manual. If they are resistor plug wires, these numbers won't work, but definitely give it a try if you have an ohmeter available. Other applicable tests might be to check the pickup coil, or the ignition control module. Does the Jeep die from the stumble? or keep bitterly struggling on?

s...

My Rides
1979 CJ-7: 304, T-150, much is my rebuild
1985 CJ-7: 258, T-5, for Peru Excursion
1989 XJ: has seen every state except Hawaii

In search of lost paths and distant locations...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 10:35 PM

Sounds like the Prestolite ignition has given up.

It may also be the 'New cap & rotor'...

This sounds like module failure of the Prestolite module, or ignition coil failure.

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

THANKS!! at least you guys have given me a few more tricks to try....anyway it doesn't die when it stutters it just plods on with no guts...also I forgot to mention the right side header is going & has a few small holes...these too just appeared since it died last week....Murphys law has surley been in high gear up my behind this week!!!! Thanks again!Tuff Luck/78CJ5/77CJ7/01Cherokee(the wifes ride)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode