Now that you mention it, the Rubicon and the GAGs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Now that you mention it, the Rubicon and the GAGs

For anyone that read the thread about wheeling the Rubicon in the winter and my advice not to do so for reasons that I mentioned in that thread, here's the info on what has been going on there, and why the Rubicon is endangered. From the archives of the ORC Land Use Section:
http://www.off-road.com/land/rubicon_info.html and
http://www.off-road.com/land/rubicon_clarification.html

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Now that you mention it, the Rubicon and the GAGs

Almost forgot, Friends of the Rubicon home page:
http://www.delalbright.com/rubicon.htm

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 12:40 PM

Brad,
Those articles relate to traveling on the trails during, "high run off" times of the season, as unadvisable.
They(CA4WD) even mention the fact that they dont want, a gate, as it would also prevent "Over snow activities".
I strongly agree, with you that we need to be very carefull with the environment, especialy durring the most damaging times of the season.
Naturaly the environmentalists dont want us in there in the winter, but they also dont want us in ther at all. If you are suggesting that we absolutely do not travel on any trails durring the winter, that is opposed by any environmental group, regaurdless of standing laws and allowances, then we have already lost. The fact that they dont want us there is a given, if you are allowing them to keep us out through the use of bullying tactics and propoganda, you are playing right into their hand. Through decreased use, they can affectively argue, that the trail is rarely used anyway, and more than likely accomplish the 1st step of their aggenda. I find it ironic that, you advocate we not use our lands, that are ours to use, when it is the very thing you fight so hard to defend. Are you suggesting, that if we roll over, and freely give up winter 4 wheeling, we may somehow save summer 4 wheeling, by appeasing the envirozealots,...I think not.
Please dont ask me to give up my backyard playground until we have lost the fight, if indeed we do loose the fight. And of course I too will find another place to wheel durring the spring thaw.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeff, someone like yourself, that is a knowledgeable and responsible wheeler will do the right thing and not wheel with a light snow pack and really tear things up. My concern is for those "yahoos" that go out and make a mess of an already bad situation. Just maybe, we have to give a little to gain a whole lot, I would like to see use cut down a little to avoid a total closure, if thats what it takes. You are absolutely right, wheeling on top of several feet of snow is not gonna hurt anything, but then some irresponsible clown decides to wheel the snow well off the trail (because you can't really see the trail) and starts doing resource damage, ie: flattening young trees or whatever, and then where does that put us? Unfortunately if common sense were common then everyone would have it!

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 02:42 PM

I agrre whole heartedly with you Brad, and I appreciate the "good fight" you deal with on a daily basis. I just wanted to make clear to all who were reading the other post also, that what we do from the Placerville side of the Rubicon, is allowable. I dont want people thinking Im wecklessly bypassing any gates or circumventing any laws rules or regs, or even damaging the trails (legaly) through driving them.
However I certainly dont want to make the cover of "Environazi Weekly" as there new "Poster Boy", and ruin all the hard work you and others are constantly fighting for, so I will be on my very best behavior, and Ill put on a Groucho Nose and moustache(one for the Jeep also) if I see any one taking pictures. I am looking forward to running little sluice with snow in it.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 03:34 PM
JimD

If you need a example, Just look at what happened to the barrett lake trail, To many people not heading the warning to stay off of it in the wet months and to stick to the trail, = GATE. I have been going to barrett lake for many years and I have seen what happens if only a few ruin it for the many. H8 you are a responsible offroader, and I agree that we need to use the rights and laws that are working for us at this time. We also need to inform the few that it is not a right that cannot be taken away very fast. (The squeaky wheel gets the grease). Its hard to say but most of the time the greenies make more noise than we do. We need to get more of us to use are rights as tax paying citizens of this great country, To keep what we have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode