NV4500 gear whine question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 09:34 PM
Spike5421

NV4500 gear whine question

I have a NV4500 tranny mounted to my 4.0 and when I merged on to the highway the other day and shifted into over drive I noticed a gear whine coming from the tranny, I pushed the shifter lightly to the right and the whine stopped. As soon as I got home I checked the fluid and it was full so lubrication was not a problem. If any of you have any input on what is causing this and a solution it would be a big help. Thanks.

'82,CJ7,D44'S,ARB'S,BDS SUSP.,FULL CAGE,4.0 HO,NV4500,DANA300 TWINSTICK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 12:41 AM

Re: NV4500 gear whine question

Spike,

How long have you had your NV4500? If you are new to the game, please realize that whines, groans, and other noises are normal for these tranny's. They are generally characterized as sounding like "a box of rocks".

Having said that, there are several things that come to mind:

1) What fluid are you running in it? They require a VERY specific fluid. Either either the Mopar NV4500 specific lube (dealer only at $25/qt) or I have recently seen AA advertising the Castrol Syntorq fluid. Not sure on the Castrol, but if you want to try it, I would call AA and see what they have to say before dumping/refilling. There is also a VERY definitive write-up on NV4500 lubrication originally posted by Jaffer at http://forums.jeepsunlimited.com/ubb...ML/000540.html

2) The NV4500's are notorious for having a nut on the overdrive gear back off. This NORMALLY only happens behind the big diesels and such they are designed to run behind. I doubt this, but thought to mention the possibility.

3) What I MOST suspect: On mine, when I lug the tranny (i.e. very low engine RPM for a given gear like 1000RPM in 5th) it will whine like that. Moving the stick in the manner you have described stops it. Downshifting stops it. Going into that gear at a higher RPM stops it.

SO my assessment, is that it's PROBABLY nothing, but above is some useful information you can get started with just in case it's SOMETHING.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 07:11 AM
Dean

Castrol Syntorq is the OEM NV4500 tranny lube. It's rebadged for GM and Mopar. The lowest price that I could find was through a Mopar dealer at $17/qt. Oddly enough, the local GM dealers are charging more than Mopar - $23/qt.

Dean

http://www.feepness.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 08:59 AM
utahjeepr

I use Redline synthetic in my 4500. Redline recommends a 50/50 mix of their 2 gear lubes (MT-75 & MT-90) Under $9 qt. Castrol Syntorq (mopar gm) is too expensive and doesn't do a darn thing different. You have to use synthetic though, or the synchros will go out on you. The tranny also generates a LOT of heat and will break down dino-lube in a hurry. My personal opinion is that the 4500 sounds like any other heavy truck tranny with a handful of gravel thrown in. They especially tend to make odd noises if your speed is too low for the gear you select (lugging) as has been said.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode