Steering pics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Steering pics

Here's a few steering pics. You'll notice how the end of the draglink that attaches to the tierod is VERY close. In one of the pics you can even see a mark from where it rubbed when I was flexing. Any ideas? Also, when the machinist reemed out my pitman arm, he went a little deep, and not it doesn't look like the castle nut sits too deep for the cotter pin to hold it in. Any ideas on this?

http://www.webphotos.com/list_albums...2&u=1000020268
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 10:10 PM
Old Hand

Re: Steering pics

Jam,

The pics are good. Have you driven it yet? You'll like the high steer. My drag link is close to the spring, but so far not a problem (there is a mark where it has touched as well).

I had a couple of questions for you too. What drag link and pitman arm are you using? On my CJ I was able to use the stock waggy drag link, but I had to shorten the adjuster with a grinder to get it centered. I am using an arm I found in a bin of arms, but it from some Ford truck. I really love the set-up all the way.

I noticed that your drag link is very flat which is cool....no bump steer.

Congrats on the project. It's amazing when you look back at what you knew/were doing 6 months ago compared to now. Nice Job.

btw, I like the combo U-bolt/bump stop.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 10:49 PM

Different manufactures make different shape tierod ends. I've used the type you have but there is one with a smaller body that fits a d60 tapper.
If you could mount the drag link so the adjusting collar is by the tierod, you could use the tierod end with the smaller body and gain some clearance.
That's if you have clearance for the adjusting collar(?).

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

raymo - Yep, I drove her last night for the first time in around 3 months. GREAT feeling!! The highsteer is pretty awesome. I can't notice the lack of bumpsteer since I have no shocks or steering stabalizer[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The draglink and tierod are stock for the G-Waggie that the axles came from. Both need to be shortened though. The pitman arm is my stock YJ one. But I had it reemed out for the larger taper.

As for the u-bolt/bumpstop combo, I think it's pretty kewl!! Hahahahaha...

W.C. - Any more info on the smaller TRE? I'll see if it's possible to flip the draglink so the adjusting sleeve is on the tierod end. Then maybe I could use the smaller TRE. I don't see the adjusting sleeve getting in the way. I also notice you said it was a D60 taper. Will this work with my D44?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would chop off those long u-bolts if it were mine .

When it doubt , PUNCH IT !!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 09:33 PM

Jammy,
Use a straighter pitman arm, and your problems with clearance at the drag link and tie rod will be basicly solved. I would suggest a Chevy Astrovan Pitman arm, it has less drop than the one you have pictured, and also has a slightly longer to make sure to maximize your radius(or actually minimize it, by making it tighter). Take it to the machinist and tell him he botched the 1st one by taking the ream to deep, and see if he cant get it right the 2nd time(I wouldnt think he should charge you if you approach it from that stand point).

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 07:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey jammy looks good man. I ran into the same problem with the tierod and draglink. Mine was just worse cause i dont have the high steer. Anyway i found a ford pitman arm that was shorter and used that. I lost a ton of steering with that route. So do like H8 says. My next idea is to get a tierod from an early bronco. And go back to the stock waggy pitman arm. I dont like the idea of you being almost done. I will miss the im's of you asking questions. Heck most of the time you were right anyway.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Oh don't you worry, Jim. I'll still IM you[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Maybe not all the time with Jeep questions, but don't worry[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Oh yeah, thanks a bunch man.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 05:48 PM

pictures look good, nice spring over and steering setup.
this picture is of a tierod like W.C. is talking about (i think anyway) it does give alittle more clearance than the other style (yours) and they do have the same taper your using now.

i'm not sure but looking at the pictures it i kind of looks like your "left to right" tie-rod didn't have the ends even when you tightened the adjusting sleeve...... (the right side is tipped down in the front and the left side is tipped up in the front) this will hold the ties rod from being able to roll forward and back alittle,
so anyway it seems like this might be making the tierod at your leaf spring point down alittle more than it needs to be, a little clearance might be gained by evening out your ends........

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-619420-steering3a.jpg (11.8 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 06:04 PM

H8 has the answer...flat pitman arm but you'll have to cut off your anti-swaybar mount...I'd send pics but my camera is dead, lol...good luck!!

Mobdawg
89 YJ growing daily...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode