YJ Surround sound - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

YJ Surround sound

What kind of Stereo equitment do you All have? Looking in to addding some sound for the rear passangers and maybe some thunder. Any ideas to make it "steel Proof"? As of now I just have a pioneer cassette deck and 2, kenwood 3x6 up front.

Headed for Gunnison, soon....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 07:27 PM

Re: YJ Surround sound

Check the JU forums...

If I knew what my equiptment was, I'd tell you.
I'm on my 3rd set of speakers, and theses ones have beenunder water 2 times.
The CD player is a marine one, waterproofed..

It works.. about 45%.. that's all that matters.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go with a sound bar. The speakers are out of the way of danger and don't use up any of the interior space. Bestop just came out with a rotatable (SP?)one that looks kinda cool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 07:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I went through the same problem, And this is the advise I have... Go waterproof. Look at sterio equipment that is designed for boats. I had a high cost sub in my YJ for a wile but was always worring about rain. Get water proof equipment. As far as the Idea of keeping it steel proof. I got a lock set for a shed. A half circle ring, and a slot. Screwed the half circle onto the speaker with heavy duty screws. I used BIG wood screws and and lots of glue. And I put the other end with the slot on the floor of the back with some self tapping screws and locktight. It worked great... But eventually I decided on removing the sterio. (amp and sub) in order for worry free wheeling in the wet!

91 YJ 2 inch lift new engine in the works.
"Because there is no reason not to"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go waterproof and/or cheap. Everything is easy to steal from a Jeep and it WILL get wet. Someone mentioned the rotating soundbar from Bestop...good idea, I guess....but it looks gay.

Click to visit the Extreme Trails website!
http://clix.to/extremetrails
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

I agree with Casey. I have a cheap stereo in the dash and four waterproof outdoor speakers in plastic cases from Best Buy. The system might not sound the best but its not bad at 70 mph with the top off and MT tires. I have poured water out of the speakers so I am glad they are waterproof!

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep
94 Grand Cherokee
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

I am looking in our Overtons Magazine now at the boat stereo equitment. The "sea worthy SEAA 9501 CD/Stereo Package. It has: 35wattx4, rondom, anti-skip, etc, and 2 50 watt speakers with 6.25 woofer and 2 tweeters. For only $200. Seems like a good deal concidering the price of stereo equitment these days.....

Headed for Gunnison, soon....

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OH GOD those new bestop sound bars look horrible! My system that I am working on consists of a Tuffy stereo console with a cheap used kenwood CD player ($60), 2 6x9's ($30) in plastic boxes that slide in between the roll bar and wheel wells, 2 5.25's in a factory style sound bar (used) and 2 10's (got free) in a herculined box in the rear. The 5.25's and 6x9's will run off the head unit and the rear box will run off a kenwood amp I bought used ($50). The rear box and amp will easily be disconnected when I need the room or if I am taking the jeep somewhere where it could get stolen or wet. It spends most nights in a locked garage though... I bought all my stuff cheap and used so if it does get yanked or ruined I am not out much money. Also make sure your speakers all have poly cones and no paper for better weather proof. I am herculining the speaker box to make it more weather resistant as carpet tends to hold moisture. The tuffy stereo console adds a bit of weather proofing to the head unit, my old head unit was mounted in the dash and lasted only a few weeks before the moisture ruined the detachable face. My center console and any boxes that I am leaving in the jeep will be bolted then tack welded or JB welded over the threads. If I want to remove it I will hit them with the grinder but if a thief comes up with a wrench he will have a hell of a time. Biggest thing to remember is if someone wants your stereo or anything else in your Jeep bad enough they will get it! So don't spend a lot of money on anything and make it as difficult as possible to take. I know people that have had there jeep beat to death with crow bars because people were trying to pry open the tuffy box but thats a gamble I am taking since I have a nice garage for the beast...

Jon - 1985 CJ7, 258, 77k, T-176, Dana 300, 1" body lift, 31's, wrangler tub, yellow!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 08:34 PM
toyatic

I have some 4x6 polk in the dash, a decent jvc cd player, two amps, 6x9's, and two mtx 10's in a box. I have the 6x9's in custom carpeted boxes with grills on them. Then I made a U shaped custom mount to wrap around the roll bar inn the back by the rear seat to bolt into, then the two tens, I have behind the seat and the seat folded down. If I go wheelin it takes two minutes to remove the subs and pull the fuse for the amps. I mounted each amp under a seat, and welded the nuts on the bottom. It makes it damn near impossible to steal the amps.. If someone steals my amps they desirve them... I go wheeling alot and have found this setup perfect

4in currie lift, 4.56's, true trac, and 33's.. yeah it's a start!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode