O/T : TERMITES!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

O/T : TERMITES!!!!!!

help,

i recently moved to a house with lots of wood... and we found termites (the ants that eat wood)

... any remedies???? what to do to get rid of them (besides smoking them out professionally)

thx
alfred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 05:27 PM
Old Hand

Re: O/T : TERMITES!!!!!!

We just started using the bait stations at my work. They're really easy to use, and you don't have to drill through your footing or have the pump/sprayer like the liquid applications. We have one of the pumps also and it's big, heavy, and i'm sure very expensive. It's a pain to pull all the carpet and drill every couple feet. We just started using the bait stations though so I can't say how well they work compared to traditional ways. You may want to check them out.

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 05:42 PM
Veteran

Get a exterminator to treat you house. Cost depends on the size of your house. A 1800sqf house should cost you about $1200 if they use Termidor and about $800 if they don't. The difference is Termidore attracts the termites then gets in their systems and when they go back to their nest it spreads to the other termites and eventually kills them all and their nests. Other chemicals are deturants that don't last. Allot of exterminators here in Arizona only use Termidor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 07:41 PM

It's too bad mice/bugs don't have the same morals that humans do.. otherwise iddy biddy landmines would be the best.
Ant looses a leg.. two of his buddies need to nurse him back to health for a few months.. Eventually you'd have them all working to help their wounded.

All that millitary destruction we have, gasses, bombs, bio-warfare, and we can't even get rid of a bunch of bugs..

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 08:16 PM

lol inferno

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 08:35 PM

OK...

Do you have Carpenter Ants or Termites?
----------------

Carpenter ants look like ants, and sometimes they have wings... Usually dark colored...
If you have carpenter ants, you just lucked out. They are much easier to get rid of than termites.
They are ants, so they don't actually eat the wood, they just tunnel through it for a home.
(They eat the same stuff that kills other types of ants...)

You will find what looks like saw dust from carpenter ants, sense they don't actually eat the wood like termites do.
You can kill them with conventional chemical warfare for ants.
It's also a good idea cut the limbs back that may be touching or hanging over the house, and scrap all wood type shrubs around the house.
Spray the trees and shrubs with what ever 'Agent Orange' you decide to use. (Dursban worked the best, but they just outlawed it...)
Use that ant control granular stuff made for lawns around the foundation HEAVY, and in the yard too.

This worked in my yard, and in the yards of my rentals...
-----------------

Termites look like little sickly ticks, always light to white colored, and they actually live in colonies in the ground.
They avoid sunlight at all costs, No saw dust because they actually eat the wood, (just a little termite poop), that's why you usually don't find them until the porch falls in...
They like to hide the colonies across the property lines, so you can't just nuke your entire yard...
They like to build colonies under brick or block porches, where the dirt is dry, and there is no sunlight or way for predators to get to them.
(Makes it real hard to use chemical warfare on them...)

They eat wood. Period. So you can't poison the food source directly (IE: YOUR HOUSE!)
So you set out poisoned bait traps to kill the colony...
Some times it works, some times it doesn't...
Cost me $1,400 to get the traps installed, and $25 dollars a month to maintain.
If they found activity in a trap, the poison bait was another $50 per trap that had activity.
(Luckily, I didn't have the formosian type of termites they have in the east and down south, they are a real b*tch to get rid of...)

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 09:12 AM

Use Termidore. It has a very good track record and warranty. I looked through the surveys for my rental property. I believe in 7 yeasr of testing in the southern "termite" zone states-no reported cases of them returning. The stuff works. If it is eaten it kills them, if they touch it it kills them but not before they can take it back to the colony. Once in the colony and breeding the future generations die. Man it works-no problems for me yet. I would use it again in a heart beat. It is too good to be true-some bunny hugger will probably find a reason to outlaw it. Good luck.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

thx infernox...

you just made my day ....hahaahahah!!!

alfred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode