build a rig or ... pay for one? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

build a rig or ... pay for one?

I want am looking to start a project, I now drive a 91YJ, greatest thing I could ask for. One of my options is to build it. swap out the 4, put in a 6cyl. (I have tried this twice and lost out on the deal in the last min twice) add 4in of lift and 33 TSL's. That is one plan. The other is to go out shopping for a Jeep that is already built. I live in the Northeast, does anyone know of any good places on the Net to look for jeeps for sail. Don't get me wrong, I am a believer in build not buy, but my YJ with the 4cyl is strong and is a great (somewhat) practical rig to drive every day. Just doing some research, so if anyone has any good sights, please let me know.

91 YJ 2 inch lift new engine in the works.
"Because there is no reason not to"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 04:18 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: build a rig or ... pay for one?

Well, a couple different factors come in to play here.
1. Money (you can probably buy a built rig for a lot less than it would take you to do the same work)
2. Time (If you don't have to time to devote to upgrading, you might want to consider buying one)
3. Space (If you have a place to work on it w/ the right tools)

I was a firm believer of the built not bought crap, but I've been there done that. I put a boat load of money into my jeep, and i'd be lucky to get half if I sold it. Don't get me wrong, I loved every minute of the build up, but since i've done it in the past in the future I will buy a rig that is already to my specs. (that way my wife won't divorce me for spending too much time in the garage.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.dreamwater.com/ironpines
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 04:27 PM

Hey for sites check out http://www.autotrader.com and also any of the local club for sale board. I would say either keep your current yj as a daily driver and get a trail rig, swap in a 4.0 or v-8, or sell the current yj and pick one up w/ a 4.0 already in it. I wouldn't buy a jeep that's been built, they have way too many problems, you don't know what they have in them, and you don't have the staisfaction of building it your self. If you are having trouble finding a 4.0 check out http://www.car-part.com I'd say a sweet swap would be dodge/jeep 5.2 or 5.9 w/ a factory nv4500 behind it.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 04:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hate this subject. My vehicle is more bought than built. I am in the Army and since Aug 2000 a I have been gone almost 240 days (and nights). I would rather spend my free time with family, friends or fishing than turning a wrench. I enjoy working on my jeep but not as much as the the other things I mentioned.

Ross

I guess hate is a strong word, I just don't think building you jeep makes you more of a jeeper, maybe a better mechanic. I bought my jeep to take me places, not keep me at the house.

2001 TJ, Warn HS9500i, tera 3st and ome shocks, 33X12.50 MTR/s, 4.56 gears, arbs front and rear
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 05:29 PM
Old Hand

You got to do your own thing. I personally prefer to build it rather than buy it for the simple reason if something breaks I know how to fix it myself and do it quickly. But to each his own.

78 CJ7 Golden Eagle/TR Ignition/Weberized/2" leafs
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 05:29 PM
sas87yj

ok i say BUILD it if you can. you already own a jeep- paid for? well the 4cyl is ok for wheelin. on the highway with 33's will be a little slow but it's a jeep. you could do the lift and tires then see what you think about the engine. if you build it yourself there is a big advantage of being able to do trail repairs. also you will know what you have or don't have. and you will probably do a better job than a shop with some practice at wrenchin. and save some $$ on the labor. BUILD it!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 06:48 PM

build it its half the fun. plus you can rub it in to guys that didnt build thiers. thats always fun too.

Is it ok to yell "movie" in a crowded fire house?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

It is paid for! And it's my pride and joy. But that 4 banger is in need of help. I run 30X9.5s now (they are a dream in the snow, untill it gets real deep) and the 2.5 just draggs A$$. If it was a week driver, and not my primary toy I could live with it, and love the mpg. If I were to take the jeep I have now and build it. A new engine would be a must. I am not even sure now what my plans are and I am in the market. If I can can find a 4.0 that will fit it will go in over my winter break (full time college student)

91 YJ 2 inch lift new engine in the works.
"Because there is no reason not to"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 07:59 PM

Id do it myself unless you dont have the time or the space for it. If you are going to wheel, you are going to break things, and if you build it yourself, you will know what broke and how to fix it and you will know absoulutly everything about your rig. So if your going to wheel it, build it. Peace
Andrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 08:14 PM

build it!
I bought a built jeep(it was less than the price of most stock jeeps around here)
I paid the price
I had to rebuild the front and rear axles within two weeks of buying it..I found out my steering box was leaking a few days after that.Then when I finally got everythig fixed(including changing t-cases) i find out that the steering shaft is not long enough..hey that explains that wondering.
I've only driven my jeep about 10 days out of 4 months.
I just got the shaft bolted in and a new blower motor in today.
Check EVERYTHING before you buy it..I didn't expect for my battery tray to rust and fall off last month..and melt my battery.I didn't look around enough.
Also if you do buy a built jeep,drive it on the highway and you will be able to see more of its faults.

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode