Flywheel ring gear - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Flywheel ring gear

While replacing the clutch on my 258, I noticed that the ring gear on the flywheel is chewed up in a few places. The flywheel "looks" O.K. But I don't know what to look for, and my jeep has 160,000 miles on it. Should I spend the time and money having a new ring gear installed on old flywheel? Or should I just buy a new flywheel/ring gear? While working on this project, I have noticed that attempting to get old, worn-out parts in working order usually costs more in time and money than buying new. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

83 CJ-7,258,Weber,D44's F&R,W/C T-5,Dana 300 W/tera 4.0,AFW frame,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 03:36 PM

Re: Flywheel ring gear

you could just have the old one machined and then put a new ring gear on it, shouldn't cost that much.

<font color=blue>Email:[email protected]</font color=blue>
'83 CJ8 350,nv4500,d300
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is it even possible to replace just the "ring gear"? I've never heard of that being done, I'd just get a new flywheel.. OR, a used one and have it resurfaced..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 03:57 PM

the ring gear is probably like $20

youll need to heat it up to get the old one off, then heat the new one to install it, its a very tight press fit.

a amchine shop, or a buddy with a oxy/acet torch can do it in NO TIME, OR you can do it with an oven some thick gloves and some forethought!

OzarkJeep

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 04:48 PM
sas87yj

get it refaced and a new ring gear. i bought one for only $36 and turned in my old one. yep while you're in there do it right.

quote from http://www.dialaclutch.com/

Flywheel Resurfacing
The flywheel must provide a smooth, flat surface in order for the clutch to operate properly. Grooves, hot spots, thermal cracks and distortion of the friction surface will cause erratic engagement and premature clutch failure. Replace the flywheel if it shows signs of extreme overheating and deep scoring.

When resurfacing a stepped or cupped flywheel, machine the contact surfaces by equal amounts to maintain specified tolerances. Do not assume the existing dimensions are correct, particularly if there were release or engagement problems.

LuK does not recommend resurfacing dual-mass flywheels on BMW, General Motors and Porsche applications due to the flywheel designs. Dual-mass flywheels on some Ford vehicles can be resurfaced by following the procedure described in LuK Bulletin # LB174

Clean the clutch pressure plate and the mating surface between the crankshaft flange and flywheel-mounting surface with an alcohol-based cleaner. In some applications, flywheel bolts require the use of a special thread sealer to prevent oil leaks. Refer to manufacturers' specifications for thread sealer and torque specifications

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 05:39 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

When I swapped in the T-18 I had my flywheel refaced and installed a new ring gear. I didn't need to do it, but, I put the flywheel in the freezer and got it good and cold. I put the new ring gear in the vice and heated it up. I thought I had ruined it when I saw how much slop there was when I put the ring gear back on! It just "fell" on! When it cooled down it was a nice tight fit and I'v had no problems with it. I think I gave about $25 for the new one. After I got the old one off I could see no reason not to just turn it over and put it back on. The teeth were not in that bad of shape and the back side was, of course, perfect. You got some good advice, fix EVERYTHING while your in there. I hate doing things 2 or 3 times (my luck).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode