How and What Makes my starter Blow fuese?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

How and What Makes my starter Blow fuese??

Well i went through all the troubleshooting. New wires, new ignition switch. I completely put a new system that is just set up for the Starter. Well I have a 30A fues which i have always used and now I am blowing them. I pulled the starter and am going to take it to the discount place and get it tested. What would cause the fuse blowing in the starter?? It is a standard GM starter. It is from my buick V6. It is dirty from running in mud. It started blowing fuses last week. I have my jeep parked in the backyard, it is sitting for about 4 weeks from the last mud ride, which i did clean off. I tried to start it, It clicked, then I tried again and it reluctantly started and ran, and it ran fine. The battery is good. Ever since I shut it down from that day, it keeps blowing fuses. Like i said i changed out the switch to a basic dashmount type, and ran all new wires. Still no luck, you will hear a click and nothing, and if I try and keep the key turned, it will then blow the fuse. I am curious, I will probably find out the problem at the Auto store when i test the starter, but this sucks.

Thanks
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 09:12 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: How and What Makes my starter Blow fuese??

Dan, the reason the fuse is blowing is that the current through the fuse exceeds it's capability. The reason could be due to one of the following:

1. Wiring error.
a. The fuse should protect the relay (starter solenoid) circuit, not the starter circuit. A Starter can pull as much as 200 amps when starting an engine.
b. Check for nicks, cuts and grounding on the starter relay circuit.
2. A bad starter can pull a whole lot of amps...
3. A bad relay.
4. A bad ground.
5. Bad cables.

Without seeing the circuit... those are my best guesses. I'd pull the starter off the engine and see if it runs with a direct ground and touching a jumper from the battery to the starter cable terminal. If it does... this normally means the problem's in the relay, or the realy voltage circuit.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 12:02 PM

You don't really have a 30 amp fuse feeding the starter do you? A starter can pull well over 100amps and should be left unfused. The switch/relay circuit should be fused, but if it's on it's own circuit, shouldn't be anywhere near 30 amps (10 would be plenty).
Go back and check your wiring. The power feed to the starter shopuld go from the battery to the solonoid and then to the starter with nothing else, including fuses in that circuit.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the response guys.
The wires are all free of nicks and cuts.
I made a mistake in my description. the fuse is to the solinoid, or actually from the fuse block to ignition switch.
I ran a 30 amp fuse to ignition switch becuase i had other items to it.
The starter is already pulled and waiting for me to come home from work. I just have to clean it off and make it look a little cleaner and run it to discount auto. And if it is bad, the lifetime warrnety is great. Everything points to the something with the starter, but i just did not know what is happening "inside " the starter to pop the fuses. Pretty cool sight. At night when i was figuring it out, you could see the flash from popping the fuses.

Thanks Guys

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 02:36 PM

You may have a problem with the solonoid or something else on that circuit. If the fuse is just powering the solonoid coil, a bad starter wouldn't make it blow.
When exactly is the fuse blowing? I assume when the key is turned to the "start" position. If so, it's most likely the solonoid.
If you can see the flash like you describe, there's a dead short somewhere.
You might try turning the switch to start with the starter disconnected. If the fuse blows, it's probably the solonoid.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

well i got my new starter. the thing was totally locked up. And now i have the new one in and it now starts, BUT....
Now the starter sounds like it is totally winding out like a zipper. It starts but it is a high pitched sound that I have never heard before. I am going to pull it off nd bench test it. It is not cocked on the engine, but i will reinstall it and try again. Do I need to shim it? I was looking for that previous post on Shimming the starter, but i cant find it.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa JeeperS" member

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 12:25 PM
Way Outta Control

Dan, you've got a problem with the starter gear not dis-engaging with the ring gear. The problem is due to the starter not being correctly adjusted horiziontally for the throw out gear plung in relation to the ring gear. You should not need to apply power the throw out gear.

It's been 15 years since I had to do this, so take everything I say with a grain of salt! try the following:

1. Remove lower flywheel housing cover.
Rule of thumb:
Shimming both bolt holes = increase gap.
Half Shim the outer bolt hole = decrease the gap.
2. Put a long screwdriver into the hole at the bottom of the Starter housing.
3. You should be able to move the Starter gear out so it engages the flywheel.
4. For measuring the gap use an ordinary paper clip. A paper-clip is about .035" thick, and the GM Starter dimension for the mesh between the two gears is: .020" to .060." So, a paper-clip lays right in the middle... It's a perfect tool and you don't have to buy it from GM! And the same tool can engage the Trouble Codes. Ain't it great to be Cheap! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Aaron (TR) advocates using a 1/8" drill bit to set the gear spacing. This works for me too!
4. After making the first adjustment, mark the flywheel tooth... nail polish works well. This is so you can come back to the same tooth again!
5. Rotate the engine 120 degrees. Recheck the gap, mark this flywheel tooth.
6. Repeate step 6.
7. Make sure at each 120 degree rotaton you have the proper gap. You may have to split the difference between the gaps at the different rotations. Just make sure the gaps are in tollerance.
8. If you can provide power to the Starter, power up the Starter and rotate the engine a couple of times.
9. Repeat steps 4 - 8 a copule more times.

Let us know the results.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Leve,
Thanks for the tips. I did not use the paperclip method, becausei could not get my big head in the right position to see the teeth, but the starter did look real close to the flywheel, so I used a washer to shim it away. And it worked. I did not have that GM PN3496734567345 i.e. standard paper clip, but i did have the socket, ratchet and washer to get the job done.
I went riding last night and everything went just plain smooth, except for my damn carb again, but that is all good, because i had a a great time out with the club.

Thanks again guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode