Off Roading Forums banner

exhaust manifold to front pipe conection

475 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TiminMb 
#1 ·
Hey all, I am replacing the front pipe on my '85 cj-7 and after putting the new on on it doesn't want to seal.
is there something I am missing? it should just join up right? I dont need to put High temp sealer or anything do I? I am going to try and re-seat it tomorrow, Hopefully that will work.
surveyboy

Man, I need a bigger garage.

See less See more
#3 ·
I've got an 84 exhaust manifold, and it requires a donut type gasket between the manifold and the pipe flange. You can get them from any exhuast shop, but I often had them leak and burn out. I finally got an exhaust system built for me by a shop and they mig welded a plate on the end and it bolts up flat, no gasket, just like a header. I've had to retighten it on occassion. It's now hooked up to my 80 exhaust manifold that has a cast iron seat like the donut, thus not requiring a donut gasket. You get a real nice donut gasket with a metal ring in it with the fel-pro intake/ exhaust manifold gasket set.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.