Off Roading Forums banner

title(registering) issues

636 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
I am seriously concidering just getting a tj tub from a wreck and bolting it to my tj frame when i install my new 4.0, but I will have no title then..`
heres the full story..
a few years back the body rotted off my 84 cj-7 and i installed a fiberglass body and used the cj vin numbers still. that was fine till about 2 years ago when i broke my frame badly enough where i replaced it with a junk yard frame...which happened to be from a 97 wrangler. at this point, i had a fiberglass cj body on a 97 frame with a cj engine and transfer case, and different axles. it still looked like a cj, so i still ran the cj VIN's. now i want to bolt a tj body on my tj frame with a tj engine and i am afraid of how I will get this thing registered.. i dont think my 84 cj-7 title will cut it anymore..
i know sometimes you can register it as a newer vehicle, but i dont want to deal with installing air bags and the WAY too many little things i'd have to do(like a 3rd tail light....etc etc.)
any ideas?

~~Elusive~~
1 ton tj-7 thingy R.I.P. (Rest In Pieces)
Current State...rolled
http://www.jeepgod.net

See less See more
G
#2 ·
elusive-

Your question depends upon the state. Generally, you can make the swap and still have a title that matches but you need to get your DMV or State Police involved. I my state, Washington, you call the State police and they will come out to your location and "re-tag" (move the vin numbers) your vehicle where it sits and all is ok as long as you have the paper trail (receipts) to prove what you are doing is above board.

Try giving your DMV a call, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Good Luck!
Kriss

#3 ·
Chris

Since the front clip will fit the CJ or YJ,will it also fit the TJ? If it will then all you have done is replaced worn out(unsafe) parts. Who would argue that you have anything but a much safer, less polluteing Jeep. Use the 84 numbers and be prepared to state your case.

Jackie

#4 ·
Don't think for a minute that the DMV will be ANY help at all. If you do ask questions, don't EVER give your name, and make the questions as "hypothetical" as possible. When I told the Minnesota DMV that I wanted to put a 'glass body on my CJ-7 they told me I had to build it, bring it down, and they would 'see' if I qualified for a "homebuilt" vin and title (like a street rod). If I was denied the homebuilt tags, I wouldn't be able to register it and then I would be "On File" with them. I informed them that "I shouldn't have to go through all of this as I am replacing the body as a result of the state dumping ton's of salt on the roads in winter time causing the body to deteriorate. I just wanted to drive my Jeep!" They then said "If it's in that bad of shape it probably isn't safe to be on the road (it wasn't) and asked for my name" I told them to bite me and walked away. I built my Jeep, put the original Vin tags on it and never gave them cause to question it. Sorry for the rambling, just wanted to point out that the DMV is not working in YOUR interests. It's got round headlights...call it a CJ!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo

#6 ·
I swapped a YJ tub onto my 80 CJ-7 about four years ago and kept the VIN and 80 title. A previous owner had swapped the windshield frame and the wiper motor cover ( no VIN tag or mounting holes on the cover) on to the 80. Last December, a teenage girl decided to spin some donuts down a two lane bridge that I was on. The end result was a bent frame, bumper, fender, radiator support rods, and a broken fender flare . The insurance company totaled it and I bought it back for $300. (A good deal as I had about $6,000 in it and they gave me $3,300.) I ended up with a salvage title which was OK until the plates ran out. I then had to have it inspected by the Ohio state police. They couldn't find the VIN plate (suppost to be on the wiper cover) and spent three days trying to find the VIN on the frame without any luck. I had swapped in what I thought at the time was the VIN plate at the time but it was the builders plate.

When the inspector asked about the tub, I told him that it was swapped and I gave the YJ VIN plate and bill of sale (from Florida). ( To make matters worse, the junkyard in Florida, Dale's Truck & 4x4, has gone out of business making it hard to verify the sale.) After three days they decided to issue me a "Self Assembled Vehical" VIN and title. I am still waiting for the inspection station to receive the VIN tag from the state so they can install the tag. Once that's done I can get new plates for it. Since I can't drive it, it will be going to get Rhino lined on Wed.

I still will have to convince the smog police that it is a 4.2L '80 CJ-7 and not a 2001 CJ-7. I know that it will meet Ohio '89 specs without any smog stuff working except the cat with my Weber carb and TeamRush ignition. I'll let you know how it goes.

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep
94 Grand Cherokee

G
#7 ·
I'm thinking I would keep the CJ title, not many people would be able to tell. I guess it depends on how and if it will be inspected. May not really be an issue but I'm sure the taxes would be more on a TJ than a CJ.

G
#9 ·
Keeping the Jeep registered with the oldest title may help with emission issues down the line. I do not think that matching TJ and CJ/YJ front clips will be easy as the windshield on the TJ is pushed forward from the tub 8 inches to allow room for the airbag.

Good Luck!
Kriss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.