Off Roading Forums banner

TR install questions

502 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Hooch 
G
#1 ·
I`ve just got the parts for my TR ignition upgrade,but before I tear out the old stuff I have a couple of quick questions.
1) Do I have to set the engine to top dead centre to change the distributor?

2) On the old coil (89 YJ) there are 3 wires in the connecting harness, 1 negative wire and 2 positive wires.
one of the positive wires goes to the bracket which holds the coil(is it an earth?).
Do I keep this wire and if so what do I do with it?

Thanks in advance for your help,I`ll let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

Nick.

Hey, I`m new to this.

#3 ·
Actually if you look close the + wire that goes to the bracket actually goes to a little clylinder like thing. Its called a filter capasitor and its job in life is to filter some of the interferance that the coil generates on you radio. I never hooked it back up when I did the tr and I haven't noticed any radio interferance.

88 YJ:4.2 I6 TR upgrade and MC2100

G
#4 ·
Yep Leve you`re right. I meant the distributor cap and rotor and thats where I`ve been going wrong.

The manual says you have to set the engine to TDC to change the DISTRIBUTOR.

I guess you don`t have to do that if you`re only changing the rotor and the cap.

I guess it pays to read rather than skim.

Cheers.

Nick.

Hey, I`m new to this.

#6 ·
About bloody time some of the people in the U.K. do the upgrade. Done mine this summer. Got all the details on my website (also part no's for the U.K.)

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 in Land Rover Country

G
#7 ·
Hi Hooch,

I got all the parts info from your site, cheers!! (US auto were spot on).

How`s yours running with the upgrade?
Mines a real bitch to start in the morning I hope this will sort it out.

Cheers.

Nick.

Hey, I`m new to this.

#8 ·
Mine starts first time now. If I leave the Jeep standing all weekend, all I have to do is pump the pedal once or twice and it fires straight up... But this is to do with the fuel syphoning back to the tank.

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 in Land Rover Country

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.