Off Roading Forums banner

cj6 update - the tank is in :o)

334 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  strawmyers 
#1 ·
hi folks,

ok, we managed to get the gas tank in... it is a looong, but very flat tank that sits between the body and the upperside of the framerails... it was a custom work from a guy who does professionally truck-tanks (the biggies)

... its made of 1/8" steelplates (so its kindalike its own skid-plate) ... downside ... it weighs around 180lb - EMpty !!! but then again, its a 22gal tank and only 5" deep

looksy from the other side

here's a last look. Note the extension of the tank downwards (next to the pilot-side framerail... the take-off is there - you dont want to run out of diesel on a 1/2 full tank in an off-camber situation) ...

so we put a litte (3/4gal) extension in there, to guarantee diesel supply up to the last liter

take care

Alfred

See less See more
#5 ·
no, i didn't do it...

although i finally found another, newly painted with very low miles for just $5K. (more or less the price i could get for my sami)...

It was very tempting (its a 1ton Toyota HD truck, axles are stronger than D60!) ... but finally it had a I6 4.0L engine (as thirsty as they come), non catalytic and we have emission control down here, so i would be unable to use the truck 1 or 2 days of the week. (Every day 2 digits of the last digit of your licence plate are blocked from traffic if you are a non-cat vehicle... today´s numbers are "4" and "5")

take care
alfred

#6 ·
In reply to:

non catalytic and we have emission control down here, so i would be unable to use the truck 1 or 2 days of the week.
aren't you allowed to have a catalytic convertor put on to be "legal". We don't have emission testing where I live, so I don't know (I don't own a single vehicle that I haven't taken the cat off of)

'93 Amigo XS 4x4
2" susp. 31x10.50R15 Pirelli Scorpion AT's, Rancho 5000's, tons of engine/exhaust upgrades

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.