Off Roading Forums banner

Help-D20 Transfer case disassembly again

784 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
Has anyone taken the front output shaft assembly out of the D20 transfer case? I cannot get to the shift fork setscrew, it is tucked up behind the gears-can hardly see it let alone get a wrench on it. Do I need to pull the front bearings or what-that will be hard to do also. Please help the book says remove the setscrew, anyone done this this way or is the book wrong. Thanks

G
#2 ·
If I remember from doing mine, you just have to unbolt the front assembly from the case, remove it, pull all the gears out of the case and then go after the setscrews. I had to wrestle a couple of the gears out, but it was pretty simple. I could be wrong, its been over a year since I took mine apart, but I remember it being pretty easy, it only took 20 min to dissasemble the whole thing.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~simmonst/Jeep.htm

G
#3 ·
From what I remember, you take the coverplate and shims off of the back of the front shaft and take the yoke off. Then take a wooden block and hammer and pound on the front of the shaft. It will push the bearing race out of the back, then you have to dislodge the bearing on the front of the shaft by hammering. It should all go out the back, then you can take the gears out. The bearing on the rear of the front shaft will stay on. Just make sure you use that wooden block or a brass drift so that you don't booger the threads on the shaft.

-Jay
Denver, CO
1978 CJ-5 258 Weber, 'glass body, 6.32 low Ford/Scout T-19, 2.46 low Scout/Ford/Jeep Dana 20

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.