Off Roading Forums banner

I'm leaking - YJ Front Axle

3K views 6 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I\'m leaking - YJ Front Axle

After a 3 hour road trip I parked my 88 YJ (stock axles). 30 Minutes later the driver's side front wheel was sitting in a puddle of gear oil. I have looked at a couple diagrams but can not determine the exact seal setup. Is there only one seal on the inner part of the axle? What am I going to be getting into to fix this one...Check out http://www.tricomsystems.net/joe/Jeeps.htm if you are interested in seeing my never ending project.

G
#2 ·
Re: I\'m leaking - YJ Front Axle

hi i had a similar thing happen two years ago
was leaking axleshaft seal
for a seven dollar seal it is sure a lot of work
of course my 92 yj has front dissconnect

you will have to jack it up
remove wheels front, chock and lock emergency brake
remove calipers two bolts each side, also fabracate hanger so as the calipers do not hand and stress brake line...read carefully i didnot do this and also had to replace line on one side.
next turn wheel stright ahead position donot start engine to do this
pull off rotors and cover with rags so as not to scratch
you must now remove hub i would use 3 jaw puller not hammer
now go on back side and remove three torxheaded screws or whatever kind are there,set up puller and slowly pull out hub, i live up north so rust was pretty bad puller made it work
then go under and remove diferential cover and put bucket to catch gear ioil as it runs out nows good time to make sure your not wearing "good" clothes put cover aside also would be nice to have gasket or rtv i used red kind
look pinnion case mine had clips on front
remove carefully with needlenose pliers or hands
some of these pinions also have pin or screw that must be removed berfore c clips will fall out
also do one side at time, dirvers side has one long heavey shaft, passengers has twoo piece shaft...pull out shaft and set aside on clean rags so as not to get dirt on it....look in axle tube and you should see seal
i recommend seal puller to get out and seal driver to put back
also i learn that the shaft will have some dirt and rust near seal area you can clean out with small grtit paper
and put a little grease on seal lip helps get bak in easier
without damageging seal... istallation is reverse of steps

on passengers side you have to remove dicconnect motor and puul shaft slowly put aside then look inside and see metal ring that is splined there is aseal near there and another further in. when you put dissconnect back in
make sure that metal ring is in front of dissconnect motor fork = shaft , outershaft,metal spline ring,disconnectfork here. i hope you get idea , if you dont when all is back you will shift into 4wd but wont work, i found the hard way, but luckliy after everthing is back together, if this is aproblem just go under jeep and remove the four bolts that hold the disconnect and slide over metal spline ring put motor cover back on. took me ten minutes and greasey fingers
the procedure i just explianed is in the Haynes 1987-1995 Jeep wrangler manual
man is this alotta typing i hope this give you an idea
i took me about two hours to do this two years ago, i did have all tools necessesary, alwaly be careful unger jacked and jackstand vehicles good luck keep jeepin!

G
#3 ·

I have looked at a couple of diagrams and it looks like the driver side only has a inner seal inside the differential. Is there a seal at the end of the axle tube? Do you have to get it from the dealer?

G
#4 ·

Hey there

The YJ front 30 only has a seal inside the diff. The carrier and shafts must be removed to replace this. It is not a hard thing to do but rather time consuming!

The seal is only like $6 but its at least a few hours work!

I wrecked mine when i pulled out the axle shaft to replace the U joints and then when i reinstalled it i must have knocked the seal out cause it leaked for awhile after that.

I just removed my carrier to lincoln lock my spiders and finally replaced the seal

a LONG brass punch would help too.

If you arent familiar with the YJ front axle and how it comes apart, a FSM will be mighty useful

Good Luck and let me know how it goes!

Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/

G
#5 ·

hi it is true about the seals a dana30 front disconnect has three seals on driver side which also has longest one piece
shaft
but passenger side has two seals one on the diff and one on the or in the disconnect area as this is a two piece shaft
the seals are under $7-$8 apiece it would be better to change them all if you have the time or just the one that is leaking
some of the oem numbers are #83503504 and #4874477...(which i am told replaces old number#J8121781)
and they are $9.34 and $9.92 respectively.. though i live up north might be slightly different price in your area
i hope this helps............ keep on jeepin!!!

G
#7 ·

hi correction one seal drivers side two passenger side
mistyped doesnot have ... five seals only three also they are not obviously $7 if i found price at $9.xx still they are affordable though a lotta work to get in

hope this helps keep on jeepin!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.