Off Roading Forums banner

Distributer and Ignition switch wires???

373 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  LEVE 
#1 ·
Hey, there are 3 wires going into my distributer, a black and purple one, an orange and black one, and a brown one. which are the negative and positive wires for the magnetic pickup?
Also, what is the color of the wires of my ignition switch(i believe there is 4) and what does each one do? THanks
ANdrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room

G
#2 ·
Have a look at the pickup and you will see one wire only goes as far as the ground tab at the grommet. The other two go all the way to the pickup.
I posted a picture of my spare awhile back in response to a question "How to test ignition pick-up coil?". You can search some of my older posts if you like. Anyway, I've copied the picture here. It's not a great picture but it looks like the orange and brown wires are the pickup wires.
When I get back home I'll look at the original.
If you have a meter check the ohms. The pickup coil should read somewhere between 400 to 800 ohms resistance.
Can't help you out with the ignition wires, I'll have to check my book when I get home.

#3 ·
alright, well that narrows it down to 2, but i need to knwo exactly which one is neg and which is positive, i cant test anythign because i dont have any of my ignition in right now and i need to know which is which to get it back in. THanks
Andrew

C/O BBS Chat Room

G
#4 ·
I don't think it matters since the pickup coil will generate an AC pulse when the rotor goes past it.
However, when I get home I'll have a look at my spare and see which wires connect to which pin of the connector.
Someone just recently posted a picture of ignition wiring diagram, it looked like the diagram for the "Nutter Bypass" thats on the Jeep-tech section of this site. If you don't find it or someone else doesn't post a link to it I'll post it when I get home.
Got to go, I'm late for dinner.

#5 ·
well for the distributer, i basically guess, i think the orange in the pic posted was the positive and the purple was the negative, if anyone knows diff, please tell me. And as for the ingition switch. Well, this is all for a new ignition modual, and it says connect the red wire to a 12v switch such as teh ignition switch. So, if anyone knows what wire that is and can tell me where it is(may not be under the dash) i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Andrew

C/O BBS Chat Room

#7 ·
WWWWWWOOOOOHHHOOOOOOOOOOO, the jeep is back up with a new ignition and new coil, works great, runs great. It is a lot smoother now, and hopefully my engine wont randomly cut off now while im driving. Thank you everyone so much who helped me. Peace
ANdrew

C/O BBS Chat Room

G
#8 ·
Leve, those were the diagrams I'd seen the other day.
Hey, not to be a smart a$$ or to give you a bad time as you post lots of good info, but did you notice the discrepency between your two diagrams.
The diagram with the connectors shows the purple as positive and the diagram with the computer showes the orange as positive.
Now none of the diagrams I have even show the polarity so I couldn't say which is right, but since it's a coil pick up I doubt it matters anyway.

BTW, here is the link to the Nutter bypass in the tech section for anyone who hasn't already seen it.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/ignmods.htm

#9 ·
Yep, there are descrepencies between diagrams... as I've taken the wire color's from varied diagrams. These colors will vary by year. YJ's and CJ's are different as well. Colors are nice for tracing wiring, but I really prefer to also double check with the use of positon on the plug or module.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.