Off Roading Forums banner

What is this for?(picture)

346 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  JoeyCJ55 
#1 ·
When I first took out my drag link I found that little thing laying in my steering coupler,along with two round peices of metal that where about as big as a quarter.
Anyone know what these do,and how to attach them?The little thing "laying in steering coupler" is the part circled in the above picture

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350

Attachments

See less See more
G
#3 ·
Sorry I didn't take any pictures of my CJ steering coupler when I had it apart, but the thing you have circled looks like the "Spring Thingy" that keeps those two square blocks pushed outwards against the inside surfaces of the cup part of the coupler.
With the round pins in the shaft the "Spring Thingy" goes around the shaft at the same location as the pins and then the square blocks are put onto the pins. The blocks are held out by the ends of the spring.
Clear as mud I know but without a picture that's the best I can do.
Also, I going by what I've seen in my CJ, I'm not sure how different your YJ is. Some of those other parts I don't recognize, like the red piece and the other metal cage.

#6 ·
No, you wouldn't HAVE to have it but I wouldn't recommend running W/O it. And no it has no real effect on the steering except if they(the blocks) were totally worn out that would tighten it up a little. (it cant make it bind from side to side)

The land of the FREE, and the home of the BRAVE.
dirtdog@shortwheelbase.com

#8 ·
Remember this is Joey . The kid with the ability to break an anvil./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I would never tell him to do it the wrong way. Not that it really matters on this part.
He is learning..........so why not do it right?

The land of the FREE, and the home of the BRAVE.
dirtdog@shortwheelbase.com

#9 ·
I'll throw it back in when I'm done with everything.
Could I have tightened anything too tight to not allow me to steer?
I only took out the drag link from the bottom,steering gear, and pitman arm.

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.