Off Roading Forums banner

Hi-Lift Jack problem

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  H8monday 
G
#1 ·
I've been haveing a problem ever since I got my Hi-lift jack when I go to jack up my YJ wrangler. Does great until the tires are about to come off the ground then it seems that the jack want to go sideways and taking the vechile with it, even on level ground This is a bad thing. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? for it would be nice to change a tire if I needed to or get jackstands under it.

Thanks!

G
#2 ·
i have found that the HI-lift jack is best for lifting just 1 tire at a time. try lifting from the corner and dont try to lift like the hole back of the jeep at the same time. just my 2 cents

#3 ·
It's cause the base on the hi-lift is too small.
get a piece of 3/4 or 1" plywood--12-18" square... put a bolt thru the middle of it... use it as a base for the hi-lift, the bolt helps center the jack...

You can trust me with your life, your safety, and your property, but not too many nights in the same room with you.

#4 ·
Nah, won't work unless you're jack is really new. Mine is so worn out from use that it wiggles all over the place! I've just come to the conclusion that if I need to lift the entire end, then I keep one hand at the top of the jack to balance it. As long as the weight doesn't go to far, you can steady it yourself. I only lift one end when putting it on jackstands or getting out of something, but only rarely and when I have help. I almost always lift one side at a time.

Though I must confess that I drew up some plans for a set of bumpers that would accomidate special high lift jacks that would have 1 foot lengths of square tubing welded onto the "nose" of the jack that would slide into the square tubing of the bumper allowing as many as four jacks to completely lift the Jeep.

Oh yeah, I also would use them to level out my trailer/camper I intend to build one day!

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

#5 ·
you must have a bigger Jeep than I do...it's hard enough to find a place to put one hi-lift...However, perhaps building bumpers that have hydraulic rams at each corner...you wouldn't even need a Hi-lift...might be kinda tough to find a place to put the fluid tank though...

The bumper thing is kinda cool...I must admit. It'd also make maintenance easier... having the Jeep perched up 3 feet or so...swaying in the breeze... Just don't make a sound...shhh.

You can trust me with your life, your safety, and your property, but not too many nights in the same room with you.

#6 ·
He he, just lift one corner at a time. I had to lift my rig in center back too when I had to rebuild my rear spring packs after the first day of a 3 day trail ride and the thing jacked up fine, stood for a while then almost toppled over. I don't know what I was thinking... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Fortunately, nobody got hurt but I had to tie a rope to trees on both sides while my brother was holding the whole rig up. Was a hairy situation. We did the job though and I learned a lesson.

'91 YJ w/stuff, http://members.home.net/t.molnar

#7 ·
Yeah mine tipped also in my garage fortunatley before the tire was taken off.
It's handle also tore part of my lip off costing me about 6 hours in the ER waiting to have it sewn back on,and a root canal on a new front crown that it knocked loose in the process.looking on the bright side it could have knocked all my teeth out ,so It was a wake up call for me.They are very expensive jacks in my opinion.
I sold it at a flea market and bought a hydraulic floor jack and will get a piece of steel to mount it on.No more highlift for me thank you very much.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?

#11 ·
Instead of placing the jack on the bumpers I just put them on the under my rocker guards and just jack the entire side of the vehicle up. Pretty stable that way. Otherwise you just do a balancing act with your hand on the vehicle or top of the jack. They work well and can be used for as many things as a Jeep in there respective categories.

#13 ·
Ever use it for something other than jacking your Jeep/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
I had to pull these vines around my boss's house and this one was the most stubborn, I broke 2 of my tow straps on it (who say's that a 4 banger has no power) so I decided to try out the Hi-Lift and it pulled it out as pretty as you please/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Donnie

"GOD,GUTS and GUNS MADE AMERICA FREE
I VOTE TO KEEP ALL THREE!!!!!

Attachments

#14 ·
Have I? I relatively rarely use it for jacking up the jeep. Lets see, I use it to pull American Wire fence, uproot stubburn posts on the farm, do like you on the bush, etc...

My favorite use though was after flipping my Jeep. I wedged the high lift between my dash (which had crushed inward with the flip) and the rollbar. I just shoved it back into place! I also used it to straighten my tub. We parked the jeep next to a monster tree, braced the passenger side against the tree and jacked up the drivers side (which had taken the impact). Hey, it all worked and my Jeep looks almost like a Jeep today!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Love them highlifts!

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

#15 ·
Geez guys, what were you doing, durring the entire "Using a High Lift-101" class.
You should weld notches at your bumpers, where the high lift can fit into and not slide off the bumper( I have them at the bumpers and the rocker panels). You need to anticipate the angle that your jack is gonna be when the wheels are off the ground, and slightly angle the jack, when you begin jacking, so that once it is raised is sitting straight. One of the most important tricks, is to chain or strap your axle to the frame before lifting, so that your tire comes off the ground without having to lift through the entire droop of the suspension. last but not least, you should slide your tire under the diff while working on the rig, so that if it falls it cant fall all the way to the ground crushing anyone or anything below.
Simple and safe if its done correctly.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.