Off Roading Forums banner

Painful trail fix, broken leg

893 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  pbmcauliffe 
#1 ·
It happened when we were in Colorado doing Corkscrew Gulch. A small group of motorcycles came up from behind us and we pulled over to let them by. I noticed one of them was a small child (Ben, we later found out) and he was riding a bike that was way too big for him. I didn't see him eat it but on the next switch back I saw his Dad throw his bike down, grab the kid, and drag him off the trail. He should have left him where he fell but I guess he freaked out a little. It was a clean break just below the knee. We put a blanket on him and tried to calm him down telling him everything would be alright. We took the ax and cut some splints and put them on the leg with duct tape. (Duct tape to the rescue again!) We had some bags and made an ice pack for him too. We offered to take him back down the trail but they decided to bring their 4 wheel drive truck up to take the bikes back down. The young man bringing the truck up tore up the trail trying get back as fast as he could. About 5 of us lifted 12 year old Ben very carefully into the cab, rested his head in his father's lap and away they went. I kinda wished we had got their names and addresses to see how the kid made out. I was glad we were there and had the "stuff" to help out. You just never know that your going to run into on the trail. One more thing, I will never NOT help someone in need for fear of being sued. I may lose what little I have but you gotta try to do the right thing no matter what.

79CJ7/304/T-18/Twin stick D300/D44s/Detroits/35s/winch/ect.ect. and a really cool SWB BBS sticker!

See less See more
#2 ·
at my jeep club, we went over first aid. And the way that i was told by the instructer not to get sued was simply ask the person in need of medical help if you can help them. Any smart person would say yes. I thought i would just tell people that so maybe someone can save themselves the trouble of a court case in the future. Peace
ANdrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room

#3 ·
If someone is unconciouse, they cant answer you yes or no.
But the Good Samaritan Act is supposed to keep any none proffesional attempting to give aid to a downed victim from being sued.
It is a very good idea for all four wheel enthusiasts to get a Red Cross 1st Aid certificate. I have to keep certified due to company requirements, but I would highly suggest anyone who hasnt hreceieved proffesional or military 1st aid training to do so, just for such emergencies.
Nice job with helping out, often times an outsider can calm down the victim and his associates (especialy relatives), better than someone in the associated party.
NOTE: Views expressed here are for informative purposes only and should not hold the poster liable in anyway, or involve his ridiculousley expensive lawyer in any frivoulouse or other matters of litigation. hehehe,

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.

#4 ·
Way to go. As An EMT/WEMT for a Mountain Rescue Team, are protocols are in a big gray area due to the area we cover, time to get to a hospital, different counties, etc. I have helped a lot of people on the trail as well as on SAR's, and I will do anyhting I can (or "suggest" the patient does something) to help them. If I save someone by doing something outside my protocols (but haved learned) and they sue me, I just hope they can live with themselves. I guess it's a karma thing.

pbm
There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!

G
#5 ·
Jeff is right about the Good Samaritan Act. HE did miss one point, however....The act states something to the fact of having "good and/or helpful intentions." As long as you actually mean well, you're in the clear. Unless you're an EMT, Extrication tech, and defib trained, like me. Then you're considered a "medical professional" and can be held liable. I always stop if i see an accident, and have amde a difference in life/death situations more than once when the ambulance was far away, or wasnt called yet. I fear not for being sued because even though this is AMERICA, i dont think any judge would rule against someone doing their best to help another. If not, I'm willing to take that chance...

-mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

#6 ·
I believe the good samaritan act also covers you if you are trained in first aid, at least that is what I have been told. The secret is to do only those things that you are trained for. Or in the case of a non trained individual, that what is common sense.

BTW, Good Work!

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky

G
#8 ·
Glad to see that you could help these people out.

I have a question about the good samaritin act?Is this a federal law or is it a state by state situation?

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.