Off Roading Forums banner

Another controversy--The best CJ?

1K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
Okay, I've been following the square headlight vs. round headlight thread (even threw in a post or two), but I think the subject is pretty well dead--round headlights are cooler! Now that that is settled, we need to move on to a much more weighty topic: Which round headlight jeep is best? Well, the first response is obviously CJ, but which model? By my last count we have the CJ2, CJ2A, CJ3A, CJ5 (early), CJ5 (late), CJ6, CJ7 and CJ8. I did read about a CJ4A once, but I only heard of it once. This doesn't even count M38s, M38A1s, GPs, GPWs and MJs and DJs! My personal vote probably has to go to the CJ5s. Granted, I own one, so that makes me biased, but here are my reasons:

Nearly the shortest wheelbase
Decent technology stock, without all the "Whiz bangs"
Great compatiblity with other brands
The coolest looking of the non flattie jeeps

'kay, that's my 2 cents. I've put on my flame retardant suit and I'm ready for responses.

"If it ain't broke, try harder!"
or
"If at first you don't succeed, change the rules!"

See less See more
#7 ·
Heh, the CJ-10 has square headlights!

And there is no CJ-2, (unless your counting prototypes). The first production Civilian Jeep was the CJ-2a. Also, you forgot the CJ-3b (high-hood).

My vote is for the M-38. Its got the strongest frame of them all, the good looks of a flat-fender, and a fording kit. Lemme hear your CJ-5s top that!
(Oh, but they have better shocks! Yeah? But they still ride like [censored]! Besides, Rancho makes shocks for the M-38 too.)

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal

G
#9 ·
I'd have to say the 1975 CJ-5, last of the REAL Jeeps made before AMC started screwing with everything, I mean it had a v-8, optional T-18, and a Dana 44 rearend. This has got to be one of the best production built real Jeeps. I think most of them came with full cages too. They can fit 33's with no lift also. Just put some lockers in and go.

#10 ·
I think I saw here or on POR that a lot of people thought '78 was the best year for the -7. You could get the 304, T-18 with a 6.34 first. didn't that year still have the large 11" drums in the rear, with front disc brakes i think.. and the new heater style

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff

#12 ·
I agree with Leve (one that's paid for)
But I liked my 74 CJ5 alot (but it rolled, must have been defective)/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
but since POR says 78 CJ7 I agree (because that's what I'm building)/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

pbm
There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!

#15 ·
I think the Flat Fender look the coolest, but I have to agree with Sloop on the 78 CJ 7. You got to think that some large (fat) engineer was thinking that some people need a little more room between the seat and the steering wheel when they designed the CJ 7’s. Thank you ever you are!!!!

78 CJ7 304V8,TH400,Dana 300 Twin stick,Custom HD-WT AMC20 detroit locker 4:10,D30 ez-locker 4:10,Built NOT Bought.

#17 ·
I gotta also agree with Leve. I Prefer a 1978 CJ-5! It's paid for and all Mine. I actually did go looking for a 78-79 CJ prior to finding mine. Why I like '78's: boxed frame, front disc brakes, Larger rear drum brakes, 6 bolt hubs, torquey 6cyl engine, factory t-18 w/6.34 first, factory 4.10 gears, and a stout t-case. What needs improvement, rear amc 20, carb, 2.03 low range. The perfect cj is nothing more than the best parts from all years on the frame of your choice, or the one parked in your driveway!

#18 ·
Yeah but who needs a T-18 when an M-38 comes with stock 5.38:1 ring and pinion gears! Your Jeeps don't even come with black-out lights! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal

#20 ·
If I ever rebody my Jeep, I'm going to a '76 CJ5 body. I've already got the 304, Dana 44 rear and a drivetrain I like, but there are more goodies for the later body. I'm not sure if I like the early or later CJ5 bodystyle better, but I defintely like availabilty of tops and such for the later ones better. Unless anyone knows a way to adapt a late model (post '76) hardtop to a '74 CJ5? Or anyone that makes a 'glass hardtop for a '74? My metal one is okay, but looks bug ugly!

You'll notice going to a YJ grill was never mentioned! *grin*

"If it ain't broke, try harder!"
or
"If at first you don't succeed, change the rules!"

G
#21 ·
I would say the best CJ is relative. If you want looks I do not think the low hood flat fenders (2a, 2b and 3a) can be beat. I you want rock crawling then 78-79 is best with the wide ratio T-18. If highway daily driving is important then 82 with the OD T-5.

All of these have benefits and problems, the best is a case by case bases.

bandhmo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.