Off Roading Forums banner

OT: Pit bull ate my hand

2K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Looks like I won't be doing any wheeling or working on the Jeep for awhile. This afternoon a 150 lb. pit bull attacked my beagle puppy in my yard, I had to stick my hand in its mouth to free my puppy, I now have a mangled hand. Worst part is, I was yelling for help, neighbor called 911, took the cops over 10 minutes to respond, I had to wrestle the pit bull that entire time, I was trying to break its neck, but it was too big. When the paramedics got there they took my pulse, all he could say when he saw the reading was "whoa!". Anyway, vicious dogs really suck, but maybe with the lawsuit thats gonna be filed I'll be able to get more Jeep parts, but unfortunately not a new hand!

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

See less See more
#3 ·
That's one thing I would have done as well. I just couldn't let any dog kill my dog. I was once told that if you hit a dog HARD with a right cross it can kill it, but with a pitbull, I don't know.

My father owns a Pittbull crossed with a Red hound and he has trained it to be the friendliest creature ever. Its when people train their dogs to attack or leave them without proper training that this stuff happens. Sounds like you have an iron-clad suit...if you know who the dog belongs to.

How is your puppy? Its tough.

Sorry to hear about your hand. Let us know how you're doing.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

#4 ·
Man that sucks. I am sorry, I love dogs but I don't see why people own those things especially when they don't keep them under control. I own a Chow and believe me she is in the yard and in my control. She also has been trained to obey and be good to people. It can be done. Sue them bad, remember loss of work time too if it applies, even though they probably won't pay a dime 'cause they are stupid scum. Hope your dog is fine and at least that damn dog didn't tear you up worse. 150 lber was quite a tussle I imagine. Next time choose an easier way to get your excercise, less intense! Are you typing with your nose now?? Good luck.

#6 ·
Brad,

I think you've just unknowingly become the new advocate for automatic transmissions for off-road use.

just kidding,
hope your hand gets a full recovery and hope the lil doggies are alright.....
in case it happens again.....a hard rap on the skull right between the eyes of any dog, with your knuckles (the ones in the middle of the fingers, not your regular punching knuckles....i guess a steering knuckle would work too now that i think of it) will destroy the dogs equilibruim for a min or so enough time to run away or pull a knife.

Jeep'n Greg
1985 CJ7 not in pieces anymore! Woohoo!

G
#7 ·
im sorry to hear about your dog man. a doberman jumped my fence and killed my beagle whan i was 9 years old. i saw the whole thing and my mom was holding me back. man was i pissed, but that dog probably would of killed me to. im glad that the pit only got your hand, it could of been worse trust me! forget punching a dog, keep a bat by the door like i do. that works!! Gods speed on your recovery!!
Thom

89 YJ,TR upgrade.

#8 ·
Darn Brad, I'm glad you only sufferd minimal damage. I love dogs more'n most people I know... but there are two traits I hate in a dog...

1. Ferrel.
2. Stupid.

Often you'll find the same dog exibiting the same traits. That's time for the dog to be admitted to "doggy heaven," if you know what I mean.

In my pre-civilized youthful life I was well aquainted with wolves and even had one for the first 16 years of my marriage. Their a great dog, but I'd never tolerate any type of acting out by that dog. The things I learned if attacked by any dog (which work, I may add) are:

1. As the dog lunges (usually for your somach, or throat, arm or leg) shove your forearm as far into the dogs mouth as possible. It prevents the dog from biting down as hard, and chokes the dog.
2. Using your fist or any weapon to amplify the force, hit that dog as hard as you can on the nose, repeadidly in a short time.
3. If the dog has not released you by this time (and a pit bull may not!) then exclate the fight.
4. Kick the dog in the gonads. If you can't kick it... grab, squeese and twist. This ain't no time to be squeemish.
5. Use your fingers, or a stick to srike that dog in the eyes...if you take one out... so much the better.
6. Also center your "polking" attack at the ear canal of the dog...
7. If you can kick the dog and cannot kick the privates, then aim for just under the rib cage... to hit the diaphram and keep the dog from getting wind.

Taking these actions will let you get free enough to either run like hell or finish off the dog (which I recommend... nothing's worse than a stupid dog).

8. Explain to the Police that it was the Dog, or you....
9. Have your lawyer call the doggy owner. It's best to not contact them yourself as the dog owener of a mean or stupid dog is somewhat mean and ferrel themselves. Contact will only make you angrier.
10. Demand the dog undergo a Rabies test. If you din't finish off the dog...that will. You may just save another life, doggie, cat (I can't believe I said that) or small child. The dog will attack again if given the opportunity or chance. It's not a case of if, but when.

#9 ·
-snip-in case it happens again.....a hard rap on the skull right between the eyes of any dog,-snip- or a bullet,,,,,may sound harsh but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Then I was 8 years old, I was attacked by 4 large, stray , starving dogs, I lived through it because someone shoot two of them and chased the others off. BTW, I still like most dogs and have one of my own.
Anyway,,, I hope your hand and your puppy get better soon.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html

G
#10 ·
I and some relatives and friends have been on the wrong end of a dog fight. I hate people that have vicious, uncontrolable dogs not securely fenced.

You bio says a law-enforcement occupation, woulda been a good time to get the carry gun out and administer some lead...

#11 ·
Sorry bout the hand man,
Having ridden motorcycles ,bicycles ,and even in the jeep I have had dogs come at me ,so I think about it alot,in the jeep I think I would just drive over it if possible,with a bicycle I would beat it to death with the bike,If one happened to grab one hand or arm I would jab the THUMB of my other hand as deep into its eye as I could ,then I would go for the other eye if it didn't let go,If the law didn't take care of the owner I sure as hell would.Nothing pisses me off more than a big Viscious dog with an IQ bigger than its owner.
Of cource this is all shoulda, woulda, coulda ,But I do think about it.
I would think punching it in the nose would do more than punching it in the head ,or trying to break its neck .
Get well soon.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?

#12 ·
I was at a party when the owners of two pitbulls got in a fight.The pitbulls where brothers and seemed like mellow dogs.But as the dogs owners fought one of the dogs lunged and bit my buddy who was fighting, on the head.It bleed so bad I thought it got his jugular.I guess the dog was protecting his master.My friend got 37 stitches So i kinda think for some dogs they just have fight in them.Lucky thing these guys where so called adults or the dog probably woulda shredded him.Moral of story=drinking whiskey and fighting around pitbull's aint to smart.

My jeep may be ugly to some.But she's a beauty in my eyes.

#13 ·
Awh man, that sucks Brad...
When I was a kid there was a big tan store/butcher shop pit bull at Shiprock Trading Post. "Temper" ruled the entire half of town.
During store hours the Navajo kids and I could jump on him, pull his ears, or anything else without any reacton except being docile.
Hence, his name ...
BUT, the minute we locked the doors no one would so much as even breath on a window for fear of their life with Temper on guard inside.
He killed all dogs who dared into his turf ... so at least the sheep in the corrals out back were safe.
Once he had a stray by the base of the tail in the middle of the afternoon out in front and I made the BIG mistake of trying to break them up.
I still bear the scars from the bite of that poor agonized stray who mistakenly got a hold of my leg in a desperate attempt to free himself.
The dog left with his life after I drew a crowd of rescuers by my unwise heroics ... but without his tail ...
I feel for ya.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

#14 ·
Very sorry to hear that /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
I deal with a lot of animals every day(I work at a petstore) and most of the owners of pit bulls do not seem to be very bright.
I hope you have a quick recovery.

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350

#16 ·
As the owner of a 93# Dober and also a 75# black lab I have broken up a dog fight that had a 80# boxer invloved and another fight that had a 175# Bull mastiff involved and let me tell you, the best way to stop a dog of any size is to wedge your forearm in it's mouth and use your free hand to grab hold of that suckers esophagus and squeeze until you feel your fingers touch...seems to get their attention quite nicely. I actually learned that in high school when I had it done to me in a fight...got my attention to.

#17 ·
Brad,

I gotta tell you that your opening line "Pit Bull ate my hand" just jumps right out at me, so I had to come back and repost.

I used to wrestle our little "white trash" dog all the time. He was what is now a recognized breed /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif called a Carolina Dog. He also had the most vicious mouth of any dog I have ever seen. When he would get riled up, he sounds like h#ll on earth. My dad showed me one day that all I had to do was shove my hand as hard as I could down his throat and he would submit. Like everybody else has said, it works. Unfortunately, grabing him by the throat would trigger a serious survival instinct and I came close on a number of occasions to killing him to regain control.

Even though I wrestled with him, I also taught him when enough was enough. He understood that when I spoke to him in a growl, it was time to stop and he would go into a respectful tuck. Funny thing about him was that he weighed like 30# at most and was a real puss. He talked big when other dogs came by, but never let himself get to close for his own safety. He did urinate all over another dog who was inciting him from across the fence. Great moment.

At any rate, dogs are weird creatures. Alone, I don't ever fear them, but in packs or when they are frenzied, I understand why man invented weapons. My wife is terrified by all dogs (except for my dad's 98# pitbull/red hound) because she has been chased enough times.

When my wife and I were living in WV, we were walking back from the library when a full grown German Shepard came running at us at full speed, teeth bared from his owner's house. She paniced and started to run, but I told her to remain calm and I charged it with my hands up growling like a bear. The dog stopped, but kept his gaze on my wife. It seemed as though it was weighing whether or not to tangle with me to get her. I was determined to kill the wretch when its owner finally grabed it and took it away. Instead of yelling at the owner, I went to my wife and took her home. It took her days to get over that.

Dogs are weird creatures. I'm sorry you had to deal with the worst part of dogs.

Soooo, are you using your nose, or are you dictating?

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

#18 ·
Sorry to hear that man. Glad your pup is ok. Just so everyone knows, ANY dog can be a BAD dog. Just cause it's a Pitbull doesn't mean it's a vicsious killer. I own a Pitbull, and she is the SWEETEST dog I've ever had the pleasure of being with. I just feel they get a bad rap. But then again, the pitbull that attached your dog, then you, should be put to death. Maybe the owner's too. Who knows? /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

#19 ·
Ouch about the hand, I know from experiance how tough dogs get when they start to fight.

But the biggest thing I ever broke up was a scrap between two large sized labs, nothing like a 150lb pitbull.

Found the best way was to get 2 people, one on either side, and simaltaniously grab the hind quarter of the dogs, and fall into a spin. Keep spinning the two dogs away from eachother for a few seconds, until they stop worrying about eachother and try and figure out how to get free of the hold you have on them.

Only probelm is it really only works with YOUR dog. Even if it's your buddy's dog the dog starts thinking, "Whose this jackass, I'm gona bite his dumb ass."

#20 ·
Yeah ive broken up quit a few fights. They were eather between my 2 labs, or my 2 labs and a german sheperd. Its hell trying to break up 3 dogs fighting, you like shove your foot in one of there mouths, and just pin the other 2's necks against the ground. Only problem, i cant hurt any of them. I hope your hand gets better man, and so does your dog. And hope the lawsuit goes well. Good luck.
Andrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room

#21 ·
hope you are ok, and i am glad your puppy, too...

but from what you describe i doubt it would be a pitbull. They rarely weigh more than 80#...

did it look something like this???

but i agree, i had to see my rott being attacked by another dog (and my rott always backs up - until there is no space to back up anymore) ... and it was one of the most terrible things i have seen in my life

... glad your ok,

take care,

alfred

G
#22 ·
According to the owner it is some special breed of pit, they are like twice the size of normal pits, scariest looking thing you ever seen, it filled up the bed of the pickup of the animal control truck. This lady breeds the damn things, has 6, and instead of being in a fence, they are JUST chained up, this one broke his chain. And, yeah, according to the doc there is nerve damage, after the swelling goes down we'll see how much.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

#24 ·
Real bummer. I hate breeders! There are too many dogs in the world now. I always get my k9s from the rescue league. I have 2 Rotts, and they are not vicious, it is the way the are brought up. Keeping them chained is asking for trouble. I have pulled two rotts apart before, it wasn't pretty. You are suppose to pull both dogs apart from the hind legs, but that takes two people. Getting a attack dog to let go of the other dog is almost impossible, but if you do, you can swing the dog around in a circle and smack his head against a tree or something.

I hope your hand dosn't have any damage, only time will tell. I even hate to respond because I know that your pecking at the keyboard. Good luck.

G
#25 ·
I definitely agree that dogs are interesting creatures. I'm fairly aware of animal behavior and instincts. In theory, it's easy to consider "Okay, I'm 180# and that dog is only 80#." Add "I think I'm knowledgeable about dog behavior" and you're asking for trouble.

When a dog is set off (and ANY dog can be set off), it's a pure, unbridled animalistic rage the likes of which I've never seen. And in their aggressive mode, they don't hardly feel ANYTHING. In other words, an 80# dog could easily beat the crap out of a 180# man who doesn't know what he's doing.

My friend back home had one of those Spuds McKenzie, Budweiser dogs. It's head was like a cinder block. It went off one day. There was no physically stopping it. He put a .22 into the dog's skull. AFTER the shot, the dog tried to attack the gun. There was no AFTER after the 12-guage.

Also keep in mind, depending on the type of dog, trying to break it's neck is futile. Many dogs (like the one above or one of LEVY's wolf hybrids) can actually be HUNG by their necks and not die. Their necks have evolved that way over thousands of years, because of the nature of the beast. How do dogs attack? Try to grab and tear the jugular, or try and break the neck. How do dogs defend? Well, there's not really a way to defend the jugular, but the necks have become EXTREMELY strong.

And finally, my dog. 80# samoyed. Best damn dog ever. Very nice. 5-years old and has only "aggressive barked" twice...ever. Never bitten or attacked anything. But I still wouldn't put it past him to go off one day on an unsuspecting dog. Also, with his massive coat, it's difficult to get his attention. If he's gotten in the trash or something, you can smack him all you want (open handed, never closed fist) - he barely knows you're touching him.

I hope your hand heals, Brad. And make sure that dog is put down. And make sure the owner's learn some form of lesson also.

Type 6-"Woodlands" '82 CJ'7
Type 2-"Occasional 'froader" '96 ZJ

#26 ·
Sorry to here about that. I'm glad the Beagle is okay (used to have one growing up). We have a Golden Retriever, Dalmation and a Spring Spaniel. If the Dal and Springer are together they get in BAD fights, I have gone to the hospital three times and the dogs have been to the vets a lot ($2500.00 in three months). People tell me do this, or do that, to stop dogs from fighting, and none of them have worked as easily as people say they are supposed to. Now we keep the Dal and Springer separated. To ward off a dog attacking you, the various tricks above do work (been there).

pbm
There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.