Off Roading Forums banner

Anyone use the High-Tec retreaded tires?

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  JEEPN 
#1 ·
So I called out of curiousity, and the cost to my door for a set of four of their 33x12.5R15 MT's is $320. Which is just about half what I can expect to pay for any other MT. I figure with having them mounted and some bargain basement rim shopping, I can have them mounted and balanced on some 15x8's for less than $500. I know some of you are going, ick, retreads, but before you say that or start posting about all the carcasses on the highway, take a peek at their website:
High-Tec-Retreading
Their stuff seems to be pretty well made, and Four Wheeler gave them rave reviews last year when they tested a set of the 33x12.5R15 MT's. I also like their warranty:
"Warranty: 2 years or 24,000 miles workmanship & materials of the retreading process. Warranty effective with proof of purchase, non-transferable, does not cover improper tire maintenance or tire abuse. Warranty does not cover damage to vehicles due to causes other than the retreading process." I figure even if I only get 20-25,000 miles out of them, I only paid $320 for them! I can buy another set and get as many total miles as one set of BFG MT's for the same price!/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

Also, if you look at part of their website, they are offering these "Green Diamond" things that are supposed to increase winter and overall traction on the tires. Go to http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/diamond.html to look at it. What do you think of it? The owner told me $15 a tire extra to have the Green Diamonds in the tread. They can do it for any size, any tread of their tires. Worth the extra $15 per tire, or a bunch of hoey?/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

So has anyone used these things? If so, what did you think? Have any problems with them? How long did they last? How'd they do on and off road?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif, 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
Aircraft, Cars, and Me

See less See more
G
#4 ·
I got a set this past summer. I didn't get 5,000 miles on them and I threw a rod. They seem to be made well. Mine were retreaded Goodyear Wrangler's. I have the 31 x 10.50 MT. I never had them off-road, only a little mud around the barn. The only issue I had with them were soft sidewalls. I'm not sure if the sidewalls were due Goodyear, or due to the re-treading process.

#6 ·
Back when I was a pup we use to have two types of tires, Garnette and Sawdust that were similar in compostion to the Green Diamond. Both worked fairly well. I'd buy a set of the Green Diamond's in a heartbeat if the wife wouldn't sue for divorce over it... heck I'll never get them tires. /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif

#10 ·
I've been looking at these for a long time and think that I will get a set this winter. Edgemont is only about 2 1/2 hours north of me and is only a short side trip to Rapid City, which I go to a couple times a year. In fact, my girlfriend lived there for a couple of years. There is about 40 trains a day that go from Edgemont to Alliance (where I live) so I keep trying to come up with a way to get a railroad buddy of mine to sneek some back! When I get a day off I will go up there and tour the plant and report back. Might not be until late Jan. or Feb.

Oh, and as far as the carcuses on the road, as someone who trucks alot and has blown several tires off, most of these are caused by under-inflation, overheating and overloading of the tire. Good tire mainanence should prevent any problem that on a Jeep.

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!

G
#11 ·
Hey AJMBLAZER I just drove to Edgemont S.D. I picked up
four of the 31/10.5/15 mud terrains for my boss. He is putting them on his XJ. The tire had a Bridgestone dueler
carcass and a very aggressive tread pattern excellent
quality for 50.00 each Email me at bddjax@rushmore.com
if you have any questions thanks.

G
#12 ·
my bro in law has a set of the 33 1250's on his sammi and i have a set of 32 1150's on my cj5 and he can go every were i can jsut as easy and one got out of balance and it would not balance onder the noted 2 oz he called and they sent a free one
good company i plan on buying them when times comes consideing they are half what bfg's are.

goes balls to the wall 24/7
and dares to be different

#13 ·
Check on the Zuki BBS, a lot of people over there are running them, don't for get a search as well.

You can also specify getting them on BFG carcasses, Yankee Tim and his friend BOB both specified BFG bases and got them. They work well from what I have seen, but they're no Swamper.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.