Off Roading Forums banner

Vent line for T-5?

403 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
I can not seem to find the gearbox vent line for the T-5 transmission. Can anybody tell me if there is or isn’t one for this transmission? I only see the Dana 300 line.

Thanks,

G
#2 ·
It is on the drivers side, up on the shifter housing. It is a press in metal pop up style breather.
When I got my new WC T-5 I wished to give it a real vent line. I removed the pop up
breather by pulling and twisting it with a pair of pliers. I then removed the shift lever
assembly and placed a rag to catch metal shavings made as I treaded the hole. I used a 1/8”
NPT tap to tread the hole. A 1/8” NPT nipple may then be treaded into the hole and 3/8”
line run up to a filter.

Since I was with out a vehicle and NAPA had no 1/8” nipples I made a nipple from my old
electric oil pressure sending unit. I cut the Input to the sending unit off at the base and filed
it down the last 1/2” of the nontreaded end to 1/4” out side diameter. This was made easier
by putting the nipple treaded end in, into my electric drill and running the drill while filling
the nipple. I also used a triangle file to add some groves where the hose slides on, so it can
not pull off easily. This allowed me to run 3/16” fuel line attached with a small hose clamp,
for my breather hose. Since I have yet to get a filter for the end I ended the hose under the
dash for the time being.

bandhmo

#3 ·
Wow, thanks for the great tip! It’s great to make stuff lying around the garage to work with something else!

I will go under the jeep this weekend and see if I can fine that area you described. I can’t believe that I have been running the jeep so lone without this extended vent pipe! You would think that AMC jeep would have put a stock one in just like for the diffs and transfer case. Sheesh.

G
#4 ·
It will be much easier to see the breather if you remove the tunnel cover and go in from the
top. I think it would be possible to do all the modes I did with the transmission still in the
Jeep.

I could believe that jeep would not put a real breather on, but when Advance Adapters sends
you a new $1500 transmission with a cheap breather on it I could not believe it.

bandhmo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.