Off Roading Forums banner

Carrying Skis on a jeep

950 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
How does everybody mount their skis to their jeeps? I've got a hard top so i figure i could get a Yakima and mount them that way though any other ideas? mounting on my spare is pretty much out of the question since my hi-lift and shovle are attached to there w/ threaded rod. I'd like to be able to carry 4 pairs of skis. How does everybody do it?

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

#2 ·
I used to duct tape them from the mirror (passenger's) to the hood, wrapping the duct tape around part of the front grill.

You laugh but it works and they'd stay on there at 80 mph, and it only cost $3.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G
#3 ·
I've seen a weird rack that mounts to the top of the window glass, then suction cups to the window. Holds 2 pairs of skis I think. I guess it works best on a 2 door, but I wouldn't really trust it on very cold days.
I had a spare tire rack for the CJ, and I think they make ski racks that fit in 2 inch receivers. I have a Yakima on my XJ and love it. It's probably the best way to go, just kind of expensive. You would probably need the gutter mounts for the TJ, then the cross bars, and ski rack. The cross bars could come in handy sometimes during the summer time too though.

-Jay
Denver, CO
1978 CJ-5 258 Weber, 'glass body, 6.32 low Ford/Scout T-19, 2.46 low Scout/Ford/Jeep Dana 20

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.