Off Roading Forums banner

what locker to get now

313 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  zippyridgerunner 
G
#1 ·
i just bought a detroit e-z locker 2 weeks ago and installed it and it was working fine then it kept on disengaging and engaging so i called customer service and they said send it back well i am and getting my money back. so what locker should i get i was thinking about the super 35 kit. what do yall think about it i only do mud ridin once a month with 33s' in the future thanx

'87 jeep wrangler in process of building

#2 ·
Detroit locker is probably the best. I had a lockright in the rear of my amc20 for 3-4 years and found it good, but the detroit locker is supposedly stronger, and is much smoother than the lockright. It's worth the extra $$$. That's what i have in my dana 44 rearend, and it's a good product. No problems with it on the street. Looking forward to some more snow soon.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster

#3 ·
I'd wait till you can swap in a d44 rear or d44's front and rear and then get a detroit. I wouldn't put a lot into the d35 look for a used lockright or something like that that's cheep enough that you can sell your old axle for what you have into it. Most likely you can't sell a d35 even w/ a super 35 kit for $800 but you could probably sell a d35 w/ a lockright already installed in it for $200 most likely. For the cost of a super 35 kit you could probably find a d44 from an xj and get a detroit if you found a good deal. Looking at the drivetrain direct ad the super 35 is $879 and a d44 Detroit is $489, consider the fact that you will need an install kit which runs about $79 that leaves you $311 to find a d44 from an 87-89 xj w/ a tow pkg. Or look into swapping front and rear d44's from a grand waggy.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

#4 ·
I have a dana 44 and a detroit full case.When I had my mechanic put it in he said to run a oil modifyer.i havent seen it stated in the manual to run the modifyer and sometimes it really bangs.But otherwise i don't hear any gear wind or anything so I assume all is good.

My jeep may be ugly to some.But she's a beauty in my eyes.

#5 ·
A Ford 8.8 sounds like it would be a good swap candidate for him as well. Easier to find (than an XJ/MJ Dana 44), 5x4.5" pattern, possibility of getting one with stock disc brakes...

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal

G
#6 ·
you run regular gear oil with the detroit. what kind of modifier did he add? if it were me i'd drain it and just ad plain gear oil.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's

#7 ·
I got the modifyer from local dodge dealer.Maybe the mechanic wasn't to sure about his installation I don't know but it works fine no complaints.

My jeep may be ugly to some.But she's a beauty in my eyes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.