Off Roading Forums banner

Warn Hub Fuses with a locker???

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Nickmil 
G
#1 ·
Hey all,

Anybody running the hub fuses? I have a d30 with 4:88's and a lockright (spool in rear).

Warn doesn't suggest using them with anything unless its a air locker. They say that it can explode a locker if the fuse blows. Well, whats the difference if the fuse goes or if I blow a normal hub?

I found 2 sets of these hubs for $25 and was wondering if I should try them out or not... Thanks.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club

G
#2 ·
I would stay away from them, they will shear the teeth off your locker. I cant see how they will work with an air locker. It will still tear it apart.

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan

#4 ·
Explode a locker if the hub fuse blows?

Anyone wanna run that by me in simple terms? Type slow as well because I don't read fast.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G
#5 ·
I remember hearing about the damage to the locker as well...can't remember where. But there's something else I vaguely remember too...something about running an auto locker and having the wheels turned...the hubs are no longer the fuse because the u-joints are at an angle, thus defeating the purpose of the hubs, possibly? With a manual locker, you can unlock to turn... But I could be making this up as I go along.

I Jeep, therefore I am.

#6 ·
I saw an article in one of the magazines where they had a ramcharger with a lockright up front and two hub fuses. They said they blew both fuses on a particular climb in moab and could have replace them an kept going if the fuses blowing hadn't taken out the lockright too. I would say stay away from the fuses unless you have a spool.

G
#7 ·
Yes, your right about the ujoints and turning deal..My thinking was that I can buy 4 of them for $25 and if they go, they go... if not, Than I know that I will either destroy a hub, drive shaft joint or axle joint.

Right now I carry extra hubs, axles, driveshafts and extra joints anyway but i figured I would be much easier to just replace the fuse if it goes...

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club

#8 ·
I just couldn't see the hub-fuses blowing out a locker aswell? They're designed to blow out when too much force is applied. When they break, then doesn't the axle just spin freely? What exactly happens when one breaks?

G
#9 ·
When I had my posi, I was warned that if I drove under load with one tire with noticably lower air pressure, I could damage the posi because it would want to turn both sides at different speeds when locked up. I would image this is why they don't recommend using the fused hubs with a locker. Or it could be that driving on the street with a locker will just continualy shatter the fuse rings from all the stress. I would imagine the d30 would give out first anyhow though.

'88 Sahara, 4.2 that runs. The rest is getting there!/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

G
#10 ·
The reason if you blow a hub fuse you can take a locker out at the same time is it is rare that both hub fuses go at the same time. If they did then the locker and gears would just free spin. Usually one fuse blows which shock loads the locker and breaks it and at the same time the other hub fuse. Usually a locking hub breaks but doesn't shear as violently as the hub fuse does so it doesn't normally have as much sudden shock applied to the locker and other hub. Simplistic but hopefully helpful. Nickmil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.