Off Roading Forums banner

d-44 wheel joint to use

423 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
The best wheel joint you all will find now is the 5-760x its a newer version of what's called oem style snap- joint - its going to be your ticket if you are eatin yours up- just thought i'd post it up! jess

http://highangledriveline.com

#2 ·
Jesse,
Where can we get them?
I could definitely use an upgrade, my Jeep has been on a steady diet of 297x and the resulting destroyed shafts. I have a set of Warn alloy inners and outers, that I will be using with a set CTM joints made of 300M that Jack Graef is supplying for our CalRocs effort(Thanks,Utahjeepr). But I need to get some extra joints to practice with untill they arrive.
Are you carrying them? How much are they?
By the way, I will be swapping in the 14 bolt next week, so I will finally be needing to get my rear driveline from you.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.

#3 ·
i'm not familiar, could you elaborate? i've been kind of following all the recent joints that been getting produced. as i think it's a good idea to change them as soon a you see any wear at all. those CTM's are out of my league.....

hey, do you recommend tack welding caps? i've lock-tighted my last set as an experiment (i hope someone has a some "heat" handy when i'm changing them.) also i like to torque strip (or paint) them to be able to tell if the caps have moved.

i'm going to check on getting a 5-760x price myself.

3/4tonYJ

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten

#4 ·
What the difference between the 5-760X and the 5-297X, dimensionally, ID, Rockwell hardness, ???.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G
#5 ·
The biggest difference is that the 5-760 uses a forged cross, compared to the cast cross of the 5-297. A few sources I have talked to say their tests show about a 20-25% increase in strength. They also use the old style reinforced grease seal so they should hold lube in better.
Spicer will not make any claims to how much stronger they are due to liability reasons, but they do say that they are much better.

Dan
"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing. "
-- AlbertEinstein

#6 ·
Who is selling them, my local NAPA dealer and driveline shop, thought I was speaking swaheelee. They still had the blank look on their face when I left their shops.
Where can I get them??????

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.