Off Roading Forums banner

Wow!! Something valuable.... from a CHEVY??

375 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
OK.... so that was a cheap shot.

But I was at a buddy's house, tinkering on my JEEP. Nothing unusual. Then he says.... I've been meaning to show you this. Pops the hood on his 89 Full size chevy truck. Factory mounted on the passenger fender is a trouble light!! It's pretty kewl. Has about a 20' cord, self contained with a crank for winding it back in. It even has a magnetic base to help hold it in place!! Awesome accessory!! Now it's no 150 watt bulb, but it'd be a life saver. And its a very compact package. As soon I as find one in the junkyard I'm going to put it on my JEEP. Go check them out, you will be surprised!!!

Happy Jeepin'!!!

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5

#2 ·
Uh, check out Fords and Cherokee's among others, they've had them for years. I got one out of a junkyard, put it in the Zuk, but there is no crank, it comes in and out like a shop light on a retractable cord. It also has the magnetic base. I put mine under the hood and run it of a switch. Very handy.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G
#5 ·
If you can't find one at the bone yard (mine came from a 90 Dodge truck, spring loaded, ratcheting, self rewind, with a magnetic base on the light) you can also check with RV dealers. They sell them as an accessory, motor home owners put them in the lower stowage compartments. Cheaper than a dealer parts counter if you can't find a used one.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!

#6 ·
Those are cool, BUT they never seems to have quite enough cord or brightness. I use some of my retired caving headlamps for night time repairs, setting up camp, etc. They're both small, compact, and bright. Not to mention shine the light exactly where you want and work independently of the vehichles juice.
A good source online is : http://www.caves.org/imo/lamps.htm . I buy alot of stuff there and have always received great service.

Caver Dave
'72 Commando "Project Mossy"

G
#8 ·
I got one of those 12volt flourescent lights with about a 15 or 20 foot cord at the local auto parts store. It plugs into a cigarette lighter socket. Pluggin it into the cab gives it plenty of reach for the front of the Ram, but with the long wheelbase, it didnt reach the rear comfortably. So I installd a 12Volt power outlet back there, an all weather marine type. What a blessing! I can also plug my electric cooler into it when its in the bed of the truck! another idea....anyone know where i can get a 12Volt motor....suitable for powering...say....a blender? hehehe...

-mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.