Off Roading Forums banner

oversize tire cairrer

697 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  tdog90yj 
#1 ·
anybody made a oversize tire cairrer? or know who make a reasonably cheap one?

89' jeep wrangler yj, saraha, 4" skyjacker w/ 33x12.5 BFG M/T's

#2 ·
I know dirtdog made his own tire carrier. Don't know how well his is going to hold up since he's not too good of a welder, right Dave/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

As far as a reasonably cheap one? Well, that phrase doesn't seem to fit with all these tire carrier's on the market. And I guess it depends on what's reasonably CHEAP to you?

If you're thinking of spending $500 on one, might I suggest you go buy yourself a welder and make it yourself. It may not be any cheaper. Maybe more more, and maybe less. But then you'll be able to make a matching front bumper and some racks. Then that welder will have payed for itself!

Do the math.

#3 ·
I'm carrying a 36x12.50x15 Swamper TSL on my home made one right now and it's holding up just fine. Having it latched to the tailgate helps eliminate any play or rattle. No, you can't stand on the carrier when it's swang out but who wants to? It's one of the best money saving projects you can make for you jeep and you'll have a welder to keep at the end.

'91 YJ w/stuff, http://members.home.net/t.molnar

G
#4 ·
I don't want my spare on the back cause I have a winch that goes through my tailgate. I am mounting my 35"spare on top of my cage. I am almost done with making it. Its basically a mount that is welded to the center hoop and the bar behind my seats. The top of it has a 2" receiver. I am going to have the spare tire bolted to a bracket that slides into the 2" receiver so that its removable if needed. 1/2 the tire sits on my full cage above my head.

I realize that the tire is heavy. I am really looking for a swamper 34x9.50 so its lighter. I have never needed a spare in the woods but I am sure the day will come. I guess for me to get it up there I will hoist it up in the air and put my jeep under it :)

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club

#5 ·
As jamgood said, you can buy a decent welder and the metal to build one for about the cost of a decent aftermarket one. Then you can build in the features you want, and still have the welder for other projects.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky

G
#7 ·
I have made two swing out tire carriers. One for me and for my buddies YJ. Total for materials was about $125-$150 depending on how much good scrap I could find. I'll take some pics and e-mail or post them on here. I only carry a 33x12.5.

Kilo-1-6

#8 ·
I made one too last winter with the help of a friend with the welder. I put a 33 x 12.50 on it, but made it big enough to hold a 35. My latch broke in Aug. and I have one weld that cracked, but should be able to fix them when I get the time. I also put a receiver hitch through the middle of my tire and above it so I could mount a safari basket or somethin there.

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!

G
#9 ·
kutyafal
I was wondering how your carrier was holding up. Have you noticed any tweaking or bending in the pivot point? If you did it again would you use a larger diameter pivot. Just trying to get some ideas. thanks

Travis
Lots of goodies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.