Off Roading Forums banner

what is the sensor with the green/black wire?

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  dschwab9 
#1 ·
On a YJ 258, there is a sensor that goes into the block toward the back by the firewall that has a green wire with thick black stripes on it. Can anyone tell me what this sensor is and what it does? I have a Howell TBI on my 258 and realized today that this wire and sensor are not connected to anything and sense that it might be why my engine keeps flooding. Anyone know? Thanks.

Donny

1987 YJ 258 I6, NV 3550, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Howell Fuel Injection 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty lift, 2" Body lift 1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock

#2 ·
Which side and are you sure it isn't in the head becaue the only sensore I can think of that is that far back is the temperature sending unit(in the head way back on the drivers side. It could also be the oil sending unit(pasanger side middway on the block. I would go out and check for you but its to dark. Sorry

88 YJ:4.2 I6 TR upgrade and MC2100

G
#3 ·
Surely in that mess of yours that isn't the only wire that doesn't go anywhere. Check the FSM or Haynes and see if they list that wire.

Try calling Howell and ask them why it keeps flooding. Maybe you got one of those bad chips everyone keeps mentioning.

1986 CJ7, Chevy 350, D44/D30, more to come shortly

#4 ·
I'm on the driver's side. It might be in the head, I have to take another look. I think it may be the knock sensor. I'm not sure.

1987 YJ 258 I6, NV 3550, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Howell Fuel Injection 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty lift, 2" Body lift 1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock

#6 ·
I just looked again. It is actually in the intake manifold on the drivers side closer to the firewall. The throttle cable runs right by it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.