Off Roading Forums banner

(edit w/pics) bought a tow rig (75 winnebago)

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Swede 
#1 ·
well i drove it home today /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif hit a damn road sign on the way /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif
it's pretty factory original, and i hear ya all about the gas milage (and it is also alittle bit of a dog, Hmmm.....can you say engine/tranny swap)

well i've been wanting one for about 10 years...... and i really shouldn't buy it because i'm still not done with my poll barn BUT it's just wanting to come home with me, and has a fair price.

it's the short one, @20ft., has a 318, auto and looks like a 60 or 70 rear and drives like it has 4.56 gears. it is so ugly and retro 70's that you got to love it. i'll post some picture if i get it.....

3/4tonYJ

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten

See less See more
G
#3 ·
Re: think i found a tow rig (75 winnebago brave)

looking for some brake parts for that rig if u decide to by it i had a 75 winny 20ft i think a m400 suspension , i have brand new heavy duty brake shoes,rubber line,and rebuid frount brake calipiers. dual piston kind .

have a cold one!

G
#4 ·

Not a tow rig, but I sold my '85 29' Layton Travel Trailer to buy my now wife's engagment ring. I wonder if I can get it back/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif..../wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

#5 ·

I have an "80" 24' Jamboree, that I use as a tow vehicle.
Its slower going than when I hitch the Jeep and trailer behind the Ford, but it sure is comfy when you get there. Something, so nice about being in the middle of the desert in the summer, and being able to take a quick cold shower after replacing a clutch. Or grabbing some popsicles out of the freezer for the kids.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.

#6 ·

i'm thinking this could be a way for my wife and daughter to go wheeling with me, (which decoded means: i'll be able to go more often /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif) i took my wife and 4 year old daughter to look at it last night, my 4 year was acting like we were in the "barbie" isle at the toy store, "can we buy dad? can we? i want to get it, can we buy it? can we? (i doubt that will help the haggling for price thats going to happen today) i'm 95% sure i'll be getting it /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

3/4tonYJ

G
#7 ·

Now you just tell the guy your sob story about your daughter...not enough money to feed her or buy her new clothes for school, the bank foreclosed on the house, barn, and back 40, the mule died, the dog ran off, Ma's sick, and the locusts are coming....so can't you PLEASE give me a good deal...?

I Jeep, therefore I am.

#8 ·

Just remember the downside (not the family part)! GVW 9000-10K lbs, 318, & the aerodynamics of a barn. 6-9mpg is fairly ugly for a tow vehicle if you expect to cover any distance.
My dad had a 27' Coachman w/ a 440dodge. He used to kid about getting 8mpg under the "right" conditions: freshly waxed, drafting a semi, 10% downhill grade, and 45mph tailwind! LOL/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Caver Dave
'72 Commando "Project Mossy"

#9 ·

Good luck with it!!! My father in law has one, different name brand, but same chassis & drivetrain. He has had good luck with it. This past summer my wife and I just upgraded from a pathetic ford fuel injected 460 in a 26' to a 30' with a v-10. I can now cruise down the highway @ 80 mph with the jeep in tow if I want to. The problem is 8 mpg would be considered great gas mileage.

Like H8 said, with the jeep, it is the only way to travel.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky

#10 ·

Best of luck 3/4, but it looks like it's got a kinda short wheelbase for towing, and an awfully long overhang in back.

Might make towing an adventure of sorts.... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif ????

Pete

"Don't fall into the traps laid by society" -- Henry Lee Summer.

#11 ·
I bought a 26' 1978 Class C last year with a 440. Upgraded the ignition to MSD, and now I get a whopping 8-9 mpg. Next upgrade is a bigger gas tank. But it sure is comfy for the whole family, and something to be said about not having to go buy bags of ice!

Ken

#13 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif I can see you cruising down the road in it /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif with the jeep in tow /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif with a cup of coffee with a big grin. It's you!!!!!!!!!!

They that can give up essential
liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

G
#15 ·
3/4...Great find!

Now get a matching axle for the front...or better yet...ROCKWELLS!

It is kinda ShortBus-esque, though....isnt it?

-Mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

#16 ·
i've only had it acouple days now, BUT i've been doing some thinking /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

i intially though it had 4.56 gears but later found it should have 4.88's (i still have to pull the cover) anyway that tells me i'm all set up for an overdrive tranny. that comes with a bigblock gas motor on the front of it /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
i also was checking out the front leaf springs and steering setup, would be fairly straight forward to swap a 60 up front.....

i also have to re- measure the barn door and RV height to see how much lift i can install and still park inside /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

alfred, don't know what can be done with that terrible departure angle and still keep the bathroom...

3/4tonYJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.