Off Roading Forums banner

I have Good Idle on a Carter!!!!!!!

670 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
So am I the only one here that has a good Idle on a carter? I just rebuilt mine a month ago and no problems so far. One question though... the sticker on the grille says that the Idle should be 850 rpm is this too high or is it right? I have a manual transmission, and a 258. One more question what does your gas mileage look like with the carter?

thanks

1977 CJ-7
258/3speed
2.5"lift
and lots of duct tape
<><

#2 ·
I just cleaned out the idle tubes in my Carter and it idles perfectly. The gas mileage still stinks, but that is expected with a Jeep. I get about 12-15mpg, depending on how I drive it. The idle should be around 650-700 rpms as far as I know.
Bryan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

http://www.geocities.com/yjlaredo240/index.htmDana 30 Vaccuum disconnect courtesy of xjy173

G
#4 ·
mine always ran fairly well after the rebuild.
but in the box of parts i got with my cj was a
"oem-looking" 2b holley. it was bolt-up except for
the linkage. i just threw it on one day without
rebuilding it, and it's still on- running great!!!
anyone know what this may have come off???

the best way to determine the boundaries
is to venture past them...

#5 ·
The BBD is a basically good carb. It gets a bum rap because of the peripheral sensors which over time get clogged, unplugged or otherwise disfunctional. Millions of them worked very well on chrysler 318 engines. At 230HP they have plenty of fuel delivery for a 258. If you can, get the one without the stepper motor. By the way, mine on the J10 I'll put up against most any other carb for overall performance.

Jackie

G
#6 ·
It's been 10 months since the rebuild of the 1988 BBD with stepper motor . Mileage is around 12 - 14 (rarely). The idle can be perfect at one red light, and then rough at the next . It seems AOK approx. 85 % of the time.

#7 ·
I too will join the rank of a well idling BBD carburetor. It took me 8 years to perfect but what the hay, it can be done. It almost feels like a fuel injection! Almost. I did disconnect the computer thou. The only problem is the idle. It won’t go below 1,000 rpm’s. Why, I do not know. But hay it works and its harder to stall out in low gears.

#9 ·
Yea, It all came to me one night, to mess with the mixture screws and keep turning the out and presto, smooooth idle. And as we all know how sweet that feels since we seem to talk a lot about it here!

Also, I found out that the large dog food vacuum can that is next to the battery was the biggest culprit for leaks! Removed it and wow!

G
#10 ·
Ive got a bunch of AM/Jeep 258s and all of them have the BBD and All that ever happened to them was the idle tubes got plugged with crud, and on the couple that had the mess of vacume lines, they got chopped and plugged. It think they work great.

Trust the inline sixes

G
#11 ·
Ive got a bunch of AM/Jeep 258s and all of them have the BBD and All that ever happened to them was the idle tubes got plugged with crud, with sporadic Vac line woes. On the couple that had the mess of vacume lines, they got chopped and plugged. I think they work great.

Trust the inline sixes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.