Off Roading Forums banner

Calling SWB BBS Jeepers from far and wide!!

1K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Well winter is almost upon us and now is the time when I would think that most Jeepers start the winter mods and wheeling for the year will slow down. That being said would anyone be interested in having a SWB BBS run next summer, people from all over. If we start planning it now it would give people plenty of time to get prepare, vehicles, vacation, save money etc. I know that I am not a very active poster on here but I read it daily and feel that I know some of you very well. Here is my idea, what do you all think? Lets meet and do the Rubicon, I know that it is not the hardest, but not everyone has a hardcore rig, but it is one of the most well known and who knows when the greenies will actually succeed in getting it closed. It is something that almost everyone could do and those of use on the east coast could experience the legendary testing trail of Jeep. Let the convoy start in the East, I believe that Jeepn would be the farthest and as it heads west picking up people as we go, myself, I would join as it went through Pennsylvania, making meeting locations all across the country until we are finally there and can spend 4-5 relaxing days on the trail getting to put names with faces, then head for home with a memory we would have forever. So what do you all say, is this a pipe dream of mine or would alot of you be interested. I figure those of use on the east coat could make it in 3 days without killing ourselves, of course we would have to stop for CJDave when we got there and see his Jeep lab. Lets hear it, are you guys and girls up for this? Let make is the biggest cross country Jeep convoy that the fourwheeling world has ever seen. I will be waiting to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to read my crazy idea!!

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!

See less See more
#2 ·
This sounds alot like the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour. I'd definitely give it a try, I'm just not sure the ol CJ would be able to handle the Rubicon after driving cross-country! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif It would be a massive undertaking, organization and communication would be vital if we were to pull it off. It certainly would be a blast though.

"Don't tread on me."

#5 ·
I'd be all over a reagional - say, Paragon for me - SWB BBS run like it was proposed earlier. It might be easier to do for the first time. Actually, Paragon is usually pretty booked up for the summer but here is another idea. There is a somewhat new (few years old) event organized by the Big Dogs near Winchester, VA. This is a very well organized event and they're always welcoming new club representative. It's a pay event with somewhat limited slots (the last event had over 200 trucks) and the terrain is great! It's got everything from mild to wild with mud, rocks, ruts and roots. You can go to http://www.bigdogsoffroad.com for more info. This location might be more central to many folks on the East Coast. Their events have gotten bigger every time, they're cutting new trails and it could be the second Paragon around here if we keep the demand up. This isn't intended to be a commercial, only a suggestion from someone that's been there.

'91 YJ w/stuff, http://members.home.net/t.molnar

#6 ·
I am up for the Rubicon. Im pretty sure I could handle the 45 minute drive. Gimme a call when you hit Carson City Nv., and Ill be waiting for you at Loon Lake. Hahaha, It would be a lot of fun, but, with many people, and potential breakdowns, and everyone helping each other, you could possibly spend the entire time allotment just getting out here. I had planned on comming out to do Telico with Jeepgod and Elusive, this last spring. But with the engine swap still being tested, my relocation to another project/home, and local runs and committments, I never could find the time to travel that far. And that was just me, to get a bunch of people across the nation with a caravan of heeps, would be a logistical problem, of Hoover Damn proportions.
Ill be ready to go if you guys can make it here though.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.

#7 ·
I'd definetally be up for a swb bbs run at the badlands in Attica Indiana. I think that would probably be the one for people like farm jeep, jeepngreg, scrambld, dirt dog, cj dave maybe the guys form MI and other midwest jeepers. April or may would probably be a good time to go. Is there some one that wants to help organize the midwest one? I'm pretty sure the rubicon would be out of the question for me especially if it took 4 days to get there, considering my summer is already booked and i have to go to school. Ma and pa rockers in wisconsin would probably be another posable place to wheel though it would be much farther for the indiana and iowa guys.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

#11 ·
I remember talking about this subject earlier this year, and it seemed that we had already broken into regional groups. These seemed to be the "practical" thing to do as far as time and $ are concerned. Labor day was by far the most popular date proposed. I stopped following the progress from that point after my Labor day plans were made for me (work!). So, did any region actually follow through and do a run?

I'd be down for a Tellico run.

84RENEGADE

G
#12 ·
I'd also be up for a Tellico run, as Rubicon is a bit far. Hopefully by then I'll either have my TJ built up, or another SWB trail rig I can take.

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"

#13 ·
I think it would be good to split up in regional, maybe like west and easy, tellico, and rubricon. And whoever would want to go to eather, could. I would be game for tellico, couldnt do rubricon though. Peace
Andrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room

#14 ·
To wheel w/ all you guys i could see ditching a day or 2 of school and driving the 13 or so hours to telico. Or do i have no right going in a stock tj w/ 30's? i'll probably have a winch and cage by then, maybe a locker. Would this be on laborday? I know right now i have a committment then. But anyother time would be sweet. If we still want a "regional" one in the midwest the bad land or haspin acers would probably be the place to be.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

#16 ·
Heh, I'll be all for it. I'll take the Comanche and fill the bed with U-joints which I could sell to fund my trip /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Seriously though, I'd be up for the Tellico run provided I could get away from school. Now that I've got the Comanche I could as least drive a Jeep there and do some mild wheeling if the YJ is still down.

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal

G
#19 ·
May Day May Day I'm going down........booooommmmmm!! We I guess you could say that crashed and burned. The reason that I mentioned Rubicon is because I so much want to wheel that, and with the threats of people trying to close it down I will never forgive myself if I dont get there. I have three weeks vacation next year and I want to do it really bad. H8 I may just be looking you up. There are some members of my club Jeeps R Us that say they are going but I am not sure. I am thinking that if I take two weeks vacation, over holiday weekend, I will have about 17 days to get out and back and wheel. According to Lycos I have just over 2600 miles to get to Carson City and meet H8! If I take five days to drive out, that is only 8 hours a day driving time @ just over 60 miles per hour. That would give me 7 extra days. From what I hear you can do the rubicon Leisurely in 3-4 days. That would give me another 3-4 days to enjoy places on the way back. Now dont get me wrong. That still means that I have an extra five days vacation so I would be all about meeting some of your guys in Tellico, or the Badlands, and do some wheeling with you but if I can find someone to go with me, and H8 is willing to lead us through, and school us at the same time, I may have my rig point west....."west bound and down loaded up and truckin were gonna do what they say cant be done" or something like that...ha ha ha....thats for your responses guys.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!

#20 ·
Im up for running it with you guys. Just give me a little notice so I dont schedule any major fabrication or maintenance work. Im sure I could get plenty of guys too go from this area also. If you had enough time while you were here, we could run Fordyce (Sierra Trek) also, that is a great trail, and only a little over an hour away from Rubicon.
It would really be a blast if we could get a trip together to Johnson Valley, to run the Hammers, one of these days.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.

G
#21 ·
I'd love to run the Hammers but would 33" tires and dana 44s be enough to do them or would I be asking for trouble. I am spooled in the rear and locked in the front and by then will have ditched the crappy Puegot tranny.

Kris

#23 ·
whew! I'd love to do the Rubicon and other trails in the area.. at this time, count me in, i'm limited on vacation time.. but.. i'll ship the Jeep and fly there. I'll have to find a "Jeep sitter" though because these shipping companies work a few weeks out, my Jeep may be there a week before me and leave after. Midwest Jeepers.. i'd organize a fall event.. Septemberish for the Pipeline, Drummond Island, Trenary,MI or the Silver Lake Sand Dunes.. or.. all of the above and we'll do the 1,000 + mile drive around Lake Michigan and hit them all in a week.. The SWB BBS Ultimate Challenge?

"It's not ugly! It just has a lot of "Character"!

#26 ·
I'm all for a trip to the Hammers. Matter of fact i was thinking about going in the spring next year. While my company is supplying me with a tow rig and gas I want to take advantage of it. I checked it out on Yahoo Maps and it's 35 hrs and 12 mins, 2098.5 miles to Victorville CA which is just east of the Hammers ;) Not too bad I could do it in 17 hr shifts 2 days of driving.

GreenMachine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.