Off Roading Forums banner

What tires do you suggest Goodyear MT/R or Bogger?

1K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  pbmcauliffe 
#1 ·
I am planning to purchase new tires soon. I love the Booger looks and they have to be awesome off road. The MT/R might be a more versatile tire. My Jeep is not necessarily a daily driver but it does see its time on the road and may see more if I bring it to school. Does any one have any complaints on the MT/R off road? Has anyone run both? What do you all suggest? Thanks for your help.

G
#2 ·
I suggest that if you are going to drive it on the road that you do not buy the bogger. I would buy a M/T because the boggers will wear extremely fast and wander on the road. I don't recommend the BFG MT these have proven themselves in all situations and the new design looks good.

'82,CJ7,D44'S,ARB'S,BDS SUSP.,FULL CAGE,4.0 HO,NV4500,DANA300 TWINSTICK

G
#3 ·
I suggest that if you are going to drive it on the road that you do not buy the bogger. I would buy a M/T because the boggers will wear extremely fast and wander on the road. I don't recommend the BFG MT these have proven themselves in all situations and the new design looks good.

'82,CJ7,D44'S,ARB'S,BDS SUSP.,FULL CAGE,4.0 HO,NV4500,DANA300 TWINSTICK

#4 ·
I've never run the boggers, so take my opinion for what it's worth. The boggers are made just for what their name says - bogs. They are hard to balance and wear extremely fast on the road. They are not something I'd spend my money on to run on the street.

Rick
80 CJ7

G
#5 ·
Well this depends on you really. what kind of terrain do you drive off-road. If it's mostly mud then get the Boggers. I like the MTR's my self because they do so well in the rock and pretty good in mud too! plus they drive well on the road. I really don't like the Boggers in the rocks though, they slide like crazy. If you want a very aggresive tread then get a TSL/SX, got to love the sidewall tread!

#6 ·
i like my new BFG MT for the most part, they did not perform as well as the swampers i was with in the supper goup mud, but they worked. and in other situations they were the better tire, i just depends on what you are doing.

gdm

#7 ·
Most of my off roading is on various terrains. Rocks, the usual trails with ruts and so forth, I will go though mud that is not what I find the most fun. Therefore, I am not going to be entering a mud bog or anything like that.

G
#8 ·
well my buddy runs boggers, and I can tell you two things. They weren't made to see any road use, they suck on road. Two, you can forget talking to anyone on road. the hum will rattle your head after a while. I haven't heard anything bad about the MT/R, but I don't know anyone who runs them/can afford them. lol, but unless it's a pure trail rig, i wouldn't advise boggers. Even of trail, there are a few things bogger's are bad at. I know they suck on rock, as I've heard, etc. good luck

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"

#9 ·
I had a set of the smaller boggers (33") and liked them for everything but rocks, no lateral stability. I could have cut them and other tricks but didn't. When I went to the 35's I have now they weren't as good as the boggers were in mud, but I like them better in all other areas. I am currently looking at geeting the 35" MT/R's. TireRack and a few other places have them for about 150-165 ea.

pbm
There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!

#11 ·
jeepgod runs boggers for off road and mtr's for on road... i have seen him too lazy to change the them and run the ntr'[s for off road.. they work well.. if you are only going to have 1 set of tires.. make it some tsl/sx if you arent driving it every day..otherwise.. get the mtr's.. i liked my boggers, but mostly cause they look cool.. they really didnt work nearly as well as my tsl/sx's do

~~Elusive~~
1 ton tj-7 thingy R.I.P. (Rest In Pieces)
Current State...rolled
http://www.jeepgod.net

G
#12 ·
I'd get the MT/Rs, I love 'em. In my opinion the ONLY reasons to get swampers is if you need tire larger than 35" or you are gonna be running in DEEP SLOPPY MUD. The MT/R is available in a 37" but they suck on a 15" rim and the 17" variety are hard to come by and even harder to get a good (preferably beadlock) wheel for. Other than that the MT/Rs are far and away the best tire I have ever run (I'm running 35")

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!

G
#14 ·
well i keep hearing about how well the mtr's are but i know people who run them and the general idea is they work great in straight rock but if you throw in anything else (i.e. dirt, mud, etc.) the swampers work better. i run 38.5 tsl sx's and i really like them. the sx's and tsl's seem to have the best traction for the types of wheeling i like to do.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's

G
#16 ·
http://www.off-road.com/chevy/tsl-bogger/

http://www.outdoorwire.com:8080/4x4/reviews/gymtr99/testing.htm

i'm running 32" MT/R's and really like em. they ride on pvmt xlnt and wear real even. make some noise but so what- you are wheelin! then off road they are awesome. i run desert trails only with lots of ROCKS. i air down to 12 lbs and haven't busted a sidewall yet. 3 ply polyester sidewall with 5 ply(2 steel, 3 poly) tread.

many run the MT/R's on the rocks along with the TSL SX's.
someone told me the sidewall on the SX is steel but i haven't verified this yet.

G
#17 ·
Go with the MT's for the road and or rocks! Like they said before, Americas tire store for $156.00 ea (that is for 35's and on the net = NO TAX!). Good luck

82CJ5 Laredo I6 258 T18 D300 (w 4 t0 1) D44 rear D30 front 4.27 gears (ARB both ends)and other home modifications

#18 ·
i run those mtr's in a 35" version.. i love them.. seem to be quiter than any bfg mt tire i have ran.. they are wearing well.. have about 8K miles on them... and yes.. i have had them in MUD!!! rocks.. whatever.. and they perform well.. granted they are not as good as my boggers i run for off road.. but for a mt tire.. that i drive everyday.. they work awesome.. i have ran them at 8 psi with no problems.. in the rocks..
go with the mtr's.. you will not be dissapointed.. since you will be driving it.. if you get the urge to do more aggressive off road stuff.. or decide to drive it less on the road.. then i would run a TSL/SX... or a bogger.. i dont have a complaint about the bogger.. they tend to slide some on wet, muddy, rocks.. but.. since its my off raod set.. im going to cut them up.. and solve that problem..
i have ran the tsl/sx's on my toyota.. and i also loved them on that truck.. but they dont like the street well.. since they are biased ply.. stay with a radial for street use..

http://www.jeepgod.net

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

#19 ·
I love my 33" MTR's. However, I only have 2800 miles on mine and they already need rotating(no winch or heavy bumper). The fronts have worn considerably more than the rears. I think I will be luckly to get 20000 miles out of them. My jeep is not driven daily so that is fine with me.

2001 TJ, Far from Stock
83 CJ7 Laredo, Nearly Stock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.