Off Roading Forums banner

Poly gas tank. Any cons??

687 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  goose 
#1 ·
In this never-ending quest to vanish rust for life, I'm wondering if there are any 'cons' to a poly gas tank. I'm thinking going with a poly tank but not sure.....

Thanks!

#3 ·
My '83 has the original 20 gal poly tank as well. The original "skid plate" rusted away, so that gave me the oprotunity to upgrade to a very stout unit from 4X Doctor. The only drawback I can see to this tank is ground clearance if you are a hard core wheeler. It does hang down quite a bit (another reason for a good skid plate).

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo

#4 ·
I have the 20 gal. poly in mine and I love it. It does hang down a good bit, but it's not too bad. I will mention that I have a big SMASH in the one corner of the skidplate/tank and it's still OK./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

The land of the FREE, and the home of the BRAVE.
dirtdog@shortwheelbase.com

#5 ·
I put a poly tank on my cj when I did my lift. I got it from Rosser Jeep, the only complaints are that the threaded holes for the vent tubes weren't threaded very well and I had to chase the threads and the filler hole needs a big chamfer on the I.D. so gas wont back up in that spot(you have to fill your gas tank slow). Aint it a bitch when you work on something and something else breaks that you weren't even working on!

I got the stock size tank and it fit good...

85 CJ7 4inches 33ssr's infinite projects

#8 ·
No problems with a poly tank, mine is the factory 20 gallon tank and it was smashed to only 14 gallons. This past summer, I pulled the tank, as soon as the tank was clear of the skid plate, it snapped back to 20 gallon size. The skid plate took some serious sledgehammer work. As far as a collision is concerned they both will act very similiar. If they are empty, or at least very low on fuel, neither may rupture. If either are full of fuel, both will rupture. The sudden hydrostatic forces that are created curing a crushing sequence of an accident will literally blow them open. Remember, a mostly empty tank may ruptured due to a puncture or tear created from other forces. One thing about accidents, you can build safety into a vehicle, but you cannot account for every variable possible.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky

#9 ·
That makes sense. I guess I assumed they were made of thicker plastic. So why do they charge so much for those 15 gal. tanks then? 15 one gallon milk jugs would only be about $50 at the local convenience store, and that's with free milk! Hmm.

Rick -- 80s CJ7, under construction since June

G
#10 ·
I have the poly tank and the original shield is long gone! I built a full steel shell to protect the tank and have no problems. I have been able to jack the Jeep up on the tank but this is not recomended.

82CJ5 Laredo I6 258 T18 D300 (w 4 t0 1) D44 rear D30 front 4.27 gears (ARB both ends)and other home modifications

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.