Off Roading Forums banner

Is my tranny ka-put?

340 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I was fooling around with my 80 CJ 304 (auto) today and i decided to play with the 4X4 lever a bit. So i put the jeep in neutral, play with the lever from 4L to 4H etc... Then I put the 4X4 lever back to netural and put the jeep back into park. But when I put the jeep into park it made this grinding squeel and the jeep starts rolling back (i'm on an incline). So now I turn the jeep off then on again and find out none of my gears work! Reverse, Neutral, Drive.. nothing, just rolls back. All of this happened while parked in my garage. So I'm thinking it's a tcase or linkage problem. I hope the tranny is still good!! Any comments on a solution out there??

#2 ·
That shouldn't have hurt the trans. It sounds like the transfer case is still in neutral. Every once in a while while shifting mine from high to low or low to high, I get stuck in neutral and have to turn the engine off to get the transmission output shaft to stop spinning so I can shift the transfer case out of neutral.

G
#3 ·
Will is right. All you did was grind on the pin that holds the tranny stationary in park. This happened because you had the t-case in neutral. It is however, not recommended as you will shear off the pin and end up unable to get the tranny to hold in park.

Good Luck!
Kriss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.