Off Roading Forums banner

'Glass Body Mounting

490 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
\'Glass Body Mounting

Looking for suggestions..I am ready to mount my AJ's body to the frame and was recommended against using poly body mounts due to lack of flex. Are any of you w/'glass bodies running poly or are you all using rubber. Any problems/suggestions? It was also recommended that I move the middle body mounts about 1.5" closer to the center (to get them farther from the edge of the body) and reweld. Does all this sound correct? The installation instructions from AJ's do not mention this. Please help. Thanks rick

'85 CJ7 in pieces..
Daily driver - 2000 FLSTC

#2 ·
Re: \'Glass Body Mounting

I used a 4 Wheel Drive Hardware body but I would assume they all mount about the same. I used the body instalation kit from 4WDH and it wasn't complete, but it did help in the instal. It comes with a plate that bolts to the number 2 and 3 mounts, then you just drill holes inboard of the original mounts for the new mounts. Everything I've heard says stay away from poly mounts for a 'glass tub. The poly is fairly hard and the body will flex around the mounts (you DONT want that) 4 Wheel Drive Hardware also sells 24" sections of "body mounting rubber" that you cut to the thickness you need.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo

#3 ·

My glass tub and body lift were installed by the previous owner and it has just the poly lift blocks between the body and the mounts. No rubber at all. The glass tub has held up with no cracks or any problems at all from moderate wheeling. It's a 4WDH tub that also has the installation kit as previously mentioned by smokngun.

Rick
80 CJ7

G
#4 ·

I'm pretty sure my tub is a 4wd Hardware tub (used). I purchased several "kits" to install it onto my frame. All the kits seem incomplete, and no quite what I needed. I ended up using a suggestion I found on this site.
I went to a boat accessory store and bought some hard rubber rollers for a boat trailer. Cut them to length using a chop saw. The roller already has the hole right down the middle. And with the chop saw, I was able to cut both sides the same length. It's only been since January, but seems to be holding up without issue.

78 CJ5

G
#5 ·

The poly mounts are not a good idea for the reason already mentioned. I used AJ's fabric re-inforced mounting rubber, and it's held up very well for the 5 or 6 years that I've had it. As for moving the mounts closer to center. it isn't necessary. Rather than use the metal brace that runs from the #3 to the #4 mount under the doors, I moved the mounts on the frame to where I wanted them on my AJ's tub. I also welded metal plate with .5" dia. holes to the tops of the mounts so that the mount bushings wouldn't pull through the larger stock holes.
Another thing you might want to consider doing to prevent moisture from getting in between the 'glass, is to drill out the tub mounting holes to .75" dia. and inserting .5" ID, .75" OD. steel, or stainless tubing cut to length through the holes with epoxy. It'll keep the floor of the tub completely sealed so the metal re-inforcement plates won't rust and the balsa wood "contour core" won't get wet. It'll also strengthen the holes so that cracking around the holes is less likely to occur.

Dean

http://www.feepness.com

G
#6 ·

Thanks much for the ideas. I think I'll go with the stainless insert in the floor for sure. As far as the mounting, moving the frame mounts as you did is what I was talking about. I won't need the mounting kit from the manufacturer as all it does is supply a set of inboard holes to mount to. Thanks again to all

'85 CJ7 in pieces..
Daily driver - 2000 FLSTC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.