Off Roading Forums banner

Testing t-case?

311 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  WILL 
G
#1 ·
Is there any way to test a chain driven t-case without taking it apart? In particular, an NP242 in a ZJ. My 4wd made some terrible sounds today. Why? Read on.

Well, I had to put the ZJ in the drink today. Coming home some schmuck in a Xsler Concord decided he wanted to be were I was, so I ended up in a ditch to avoid him. It was one of those tricky ditches that look relatively smooth and shallow, but are really 3 feet deep of gumbo mud and the grass in the middle has just grown taller to make it look shallow. I hit the ditch at some angle so as not to roll, but not too much angle so as not to hit the back side of the ditch head on. I had been slamming on the brakes, and then hit the gas as I entered the ditch to try and power out the other side. No go. The front end made it, but the rear just sunk to the axles and sub-frame. I put it in 4wd and tried to get out, but GY Wrangler GSA's and wet grass just don't mix. I was hearing some terrible popping noises from the front end and underneath. I swear I think my t-case is skipping, but it may have been the front tire grabbing the front bumper.

No, the guy didn't stop. Once he saw what happened, he aborted his turn, pulled back on the road and took off.

It was about 2 minutes before a 4wd Durango stopped to help, 3 minutes for the first ambulance, 4 minutes for the second ambulance and a Ford F150, and 6 minutes for a fire truck. SHEESH! But they were all really helpful. The Durango pulled me out while the EMS guys blocked traffic (8-lane highway rush hour traffic). What a day!

Type 6-"Woodlands" '82 CJ'7
Type 2-"Occasional 'froader" '96 ZJ

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.