Off Roading Forums banner

Will adjustable shocks slow shackle reversal?

935 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  teejay68 
#1 ·
Ok.... in January of 2000, I installed the shackle reversal system on my JEEP. I really love the ride and control. Now I've just installed the dual diaphram brake booster from an S10. Great brakes!! But I would like to minimize the nose dive. I understand that this is just a by-product of the shackle shifting backwards. Has anybody got any solutions? I know this is kinda like jumping back and forth across the fence, but I'd really like to keep the shackle reversal. I was thinking about one of the adjustable RANCHO shocks, just as a start. Are they effective in slowing the nose dive?

Anyone??

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5

#2 ·
hmmm,
did the front end dive before swapping to booster (did you swap anything else, master cylider?)

i've never seen a shackle reversal cause a jeep to brake much differently myself.

but i'm sure that if your rear brakes come in before your front, the nose will dive. you got to get the proportioning valve/master cylinder correct.

also flexy suspension systems generally brake like that aslo, and RS9000 set on 5 will control body roll in any direction pretty good, i'd get them but they just are out of my budget right now, ..........

3/4tonYJ

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten

G
#5 ·
same here ... trailmaster shackle reverse kit and RS 9000 all around.... setting #3 minimizes nose dive.
Nose dive is normal with shackle reverse... simple physics and the way impact transfer has changed.

Desertbuzz

G
#6 ·
I swapped on the S10 booster, and upgraded to a Power Brake master cylinder from a CJ.
The Jeep did nosedive before the booster swap. But it really seems to be magnified now. I was just looking at fine tuning it, I really like the ride, but the nosedive with the new brakes seems very excessive. I just want to stay in control, and not have my passengers pressed up against the windshield.

Thanks for all the input.

78 CJ5

G
#8 ·
Pull your existing shocks off, and cycle your suspension (find a lowrider to drive on) and check the mount lengths for the shocks (mounting bolt to mounting bolt) at full compression and full droop. I am sure that Rancho could come up with a shock that will work. Usually when a catalog says something can't be done, it just means that it will require a little more effort to accomplish your task.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!

#9 ·
Frist, theres the chart for rancho shocks, http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/shocks/
Cycle the suspension and measure as has already been said, then find the right shocks in the chart.

I also installed an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear brake line, you WANT the rear brakes to engage more and sooner then the front to counter the front spring compression(nosedive).

The shocks helped alot but the adjustable PV (adjusted properly)was the answer to the problem. Now I can lock the brakes(HydroBoost/4wheel disc)and it stays completely level.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html

#10 ·
If you have lift springs, then the shackle reversal with the shackles pointing towards the rear axle will cause nose dive. The flatter the leaf springs, the less the dive should be. I have 4" springs on mine, and I had to move the shackle mount forwards so that the shackle points slightly towards the front axle. This gives the shackle some movement prior to actually collapsing towards the frame (hence the nose dive).

I can take pics of you really need them.

TJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.