Off Roading Forums banner

CV shaft, how many grease fittings are enough?

833 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  sas87yj 
#1 ·
i'm getting ready to swap to a CV style rear driveshaft, so is this enough grease fittings? /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif i put one in every cap.......

3/4tonYJ

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten

See less See more
G
#2 ·
hey looks sweet! my cv joint from tom woods can't be greased with driveshaft on rig- have to drop shaft and grease on bench. two of the zirts are "inverted" and have to use a needle tip on gun. then there's one or two of the conventional zirts like yours. so you have a total of 8 zirts on that cv joint right? and all accessible with shaft on rig! nice job.

#3 ·
Hey Gregg, I love it. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but was wondering how hard it would be to drill the bearing caps. Guess it's not a problem.

They that can give up essential
liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

#7 ·
i didn't drill the caps, these are an off brand (i think "precision" maybe "motormaster") and they came with the fittings. i got them from work they must have been pushed to the back of the shelf for some time.

i did put a new "spicer" "CV kit" in /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif, it cost me as much as everything else combined, including the used CV yoke......but i still have to get the shaft shortened.

jesse, i'm sure they are not as strong and you are probably right about non-grease-able spicer out lasting them, even greasing these all the time, i'm just a super budget builder. (but i do run spicer in my axle shafts)

3/4tonYJ

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten

G
#8 ·
i'd rather have the GREASABLE u-joint than a non-greasable. then you KNOW you have grease in them. carry a non-greasable for a quick-change on the trail so you don't have to carry a grease gun but that's it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.