Off Roading Forums banner

Help - Oil Pressure reading 80 and 258 is flooding

762 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
I have an '87 YJ with a 258, NV3550, NP231, Howell TBI system. I was recently in a crazy car accident and the Jeep was totalled and thanks to my great collision guy, it has been resusitated. I have a few issues though. First, when I first got it back, there was a knocking coming from the bottom of the engine which sounded like it was right above the oil pan. It made it at his shop, which is in NJ and by the time I got home, which is in NY, it stopped. It was a rythmic knocking that got more intense at a higher idle and got louder as the car warmed up. Any ideas? The Jeep did take a big hit but there was no visual damage to the engine. The tranny locked up and was replaced with an NV3550 out of a 2001 TJ. The collission guy thought that may the crank got tweeked from the impact of the collision and that was the problem, but if that was the case, would it have just gone away. Incidentally, the exhaust hit the oil pan so I replaced it with a new exhust pipe and new oil pan. Second issue is that I have always had good oil pressure and it remained good when I got the Jeep back, which was Sunday. Today for some reason, the pressure was reading 80, all the way up. Usually it sits between 60 and 80, right in the middle. Could the oil pan being replaced have an effect on this? It was replaced yesterday. I'm thinking maybe there is a short somewhere connected to that guage, but is it a bad thing to be driving with such high oil pressure if it is legit? I never had problems with that guage before. Third, I have the Howell setup and have had the battery disconnected many times while all this was being fixed. I know the computer has to relearn the engine everytime it is disconnected. BTW, I put in a posi Lock for the front axle because the new NP231 and it's electric engagement issues. Tonight I was looking around and noticed that the old vacuum wires that went into the front axle were hanging in the engine bay and the other side was against the exhaust pipe and half melted. I pulled it out and some of the vacuum lines it was attached to. After that I tried to start it up and I ended up flooding the engine. I had it in for an alignment today and they also flooded it. Usually when this happened in the past, I would push the gas all the way down and this cleared it and it started right up. It took me about 20 minutes to get it started before. I drove it around for 15 minutes, then tried starting it again about 10 minutes after that and somehow ended up flooding it again. Any ideas why? I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the computer learning. anyone else with the Howell setup have these issues or is it just me? Thanks for all the help in advance and sorry for the long post, I'm just getting a little frustrated.

Donny

1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Howell Fuel Injection1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock

See less See more
G
#2 ·
When you changed the oil pan, you changed the oil too, right?? When I put new oil in mine, it'll read 80. After a week or so, when the oil gets broken in it'll go back down. Just a thought.

J-ust
E-nough
E-ssential
P-arts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.