Off Roading Forums banner

diffrence in cj and yj spring lifts???

880 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
People always say the YJ springs are better cause they are longer and also a little wider for SOA. Now I am not there yet and am doing a 4" SUA, so my question is a yj 4" inch lift be better than a 4" cj lift for my 86 CJ-7. I know I would have to change over the shakles and length but that isn't a problem cause I am doing an SRS also in the swap. So are they the same or is there a difference?
Thanks

G
#2 ·
I know the YJ springs are wider in the front and like you said longer. On the back I am not sure, but I think they may be the same. Old Man Emu makes a kit to swap YJ stuff onto a CJ maybe you could find info on that to see what is different. But if you are doing your own shakle reversal I wouldn't think it would be a problem with a little fabbing. I am also unsure on this but it seems like I read about a guy who turned his front spring hangers around or moved them forward an inch or two to accomodate the YJ springs.

#3 ·
Just two changes come to mind. Make sure the spring mounts for the SRS are for 2-1/2" springs, not 2". Also you will need to use rear CJ spring u-bolt plates in front too.

G
#4 ·
Yes they are the same in the rear. Will has it right as far as the front goes. When you do the s/r up front it should mount at the forward most point. Depending on manufacturer you mabe able to get it as you want it as this is a popular swap. When you hang the rear shackles up front is when you notice the difference.

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.