Off Roading Forums banner

will emergency brake cables hold up to 35's

783 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  cj5_pilot 
G
#1 ·
will emergency brake cables hold up to 35\'s

I have been running without e brakes because the originals limited the suspension. I was thinking of trying to set them up again. Even if I can find ones long enough, do you think they will be able to hold a jeep with 35's.

G
#2 ·
Re: will emergency brake cables hold up to 35\'s

I'm taking it that you wonder if they'll prevent it from rolling forward/aft? Well, the cables won't break...the pedal assembly would break first. They oughta hold it if you have your drums adjusted up nicely...of course, if you're on a big enough incline, don't hold your breath...

I Jeep, therefore I am.

#4 ·

You might try using a hydraulic style brake. They are simply a little lever that locks the hydraulic fluid in the lines. You step on the brakes, throw the lever, and presto, it's like you are there stepping on the brakes all the time. My father works on heavy equipment (I did too years ago) and he installs those in front end loaders after ham fisted operators destroy the original brakes. He says you can drive through an original Cat parking brake, but not the hydraulic style. My e-brake is shot on my CJ, and that is what I'm going to install after I get a brake booster (not required, that is just my priority). I found one in a catalog the other day (JC whitney I think....) and it wasn't all that expensive. Just a thought!

"If it ain't broke, try harder!"
or
"If at first you don't succeed, change the rules!"

G
#6 ·

I always wanted to do the hydraulic switch too, but just never got around to it. Better check, I think I heard they are illegal. If so, just make it inconspicuous. And I think I would let the EMERGENCY (not "parking") brake setup in place also. It is really a backup in case of hydraulic brake system failure, and not just for parking on hills. One more thing. I know lots of people who never apply the emergency brake when parking. Bad thing about this is they rust, etc. and then when you really need them they don't work. The ol' use it or lose it story.

#7 ·

Actually, I only use my parking/emergency brake during the summer. It's a good way to get frozen up so you can't move in the winter in my parts! I've thought about not bothering to fix my e brake at all, but decided I want something. Mainly I want it for when I jump out to do something (like roll my hubs in, or pick up some part that fell off my buddies Toyota) and want to leave my jeep running for the few seconds I'll be out. I'd rather use the hydraulic for that as it is one less cable underneath to get hung up on brush.

"If it ain't broke, try harder!"
or
"If at first you don't succeed, change the rules!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.